Bought next Winters Coal today

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Bought next Winters Coal today

Post by Richard »

Hi,

The Coal Merchants phoned me to say they had an end of season '5 bags get one free' offer on, so it seemed sensible to get some.

So 5 x 50kg bags of Solid Fuel Lumps @ £19.75 = £98.75 less discount for paying by card over phone = £96.75.

I actually get 6 bags which should be £118.50 so a saving of £21.75

Plus if I'd waited til end of summer, the prices would have gone up more.

With the logs I'm getting there's a chance that'll see me through the whole of next winter.

Pretty chuffed about this - does anyone else buy ahead on anything?

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Re: Bought next Winters Coal today

Post by Kaeta44 »

Not unless you count having to pay TB 3 months in advance for a phone & broadband service I haven't used yet!
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Sounds like a good deal and you'll be toasty warm this winter.
We buy food before we need it :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

That's a good price Richard )t'
As you say, it will probably go up by next winter too so a double saving really and no need to worry about it when the time comes :-D

I've started Christmas shopping already. Not really on purpose but saw a couple of things in the sale that were just right and half price so seemed silly not to while I had the money. I just need to remember I've bought them and not buy them again nearer the time )grin2(
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Richard, well done for looking to the future.

I am ashamed to say I am rubbish at stuff like this, I buy Christmas presents about a week before Christmas :oops:
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like to be well stocked up on groceries. If I see a good price I buy lots. And when things are low get a month's supply or more (depending on 'use by' dates). We live 10m from a big supermarket, over a mile from any shop, so don't shop often (maybe ever 3 weeks).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Well done Richard .. that was a good deal !! )app( )app( ... it's good to know we don't have to worry about you getting cold next winter {hug}
We have all next winters logs drying in our friends barn .. he'll bring them down once we get a dry day )t'
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Good move Richard, one less thing to think about in winter. )t' We dont really use anything that we need to plan that much ahead with really except for the usual food bargains that can be safely stored while needed. Also I will buy DIY materials I think may come in handy in the future from boot sales etc if they are megger cheap.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Sara

Post by Sara »

That was a good deal Richard )app(

We tend to buy everything and anything that will store ok if the price is good... Whether it be building supplies or food or fuel or wood... Last week we found a lady in the next village selling a double glazed french doors, a heavy oak front door and a double glazed window, all for 150€ less than 2 years old with thier frames and everything.... We need the french doors and front door straight away but will keep the window for when we renovate the upstairs and open up another window. )t'

We get lots of promotions here in the supermarket, not always a good deal but sometimes you come accross something worth while... The last time they had -50% on things i stocked up and now have 6 months supply of dishawasher tabs (dishwasher broke a week later :/ ) Cat food, Shower gel, Shampoo and Cat litter amoungst other things .... Very usefull as my supply of English stuff is running low and we wont be over until July so it will see us through until the next stock up... )t'

Its always re-assuring to know that i have plenty of food in the cupboards and freezer , the fuel tank isnt empty and the wood store is stocked up and that there is plenty of feed for all the animals. )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Now, that really is forward planning, Richard. We are more than halfway through a log pile, which we thought we would be using next winter.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Spreckly wrote:Now, that really is forward planning, Richard. We are more than halfway through a log pile, which we thought we would be using next winter.

Same here. I keep chopping wood from trees I cut down in the autumn to put in the log shed for a final drying over over the summer (if we ever get one :-D ) but the rest of the family keep burning them in the stove. We also still have our central heating on.
Michael
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm just burning logs now, short sharp heat for a few hours each evening.

Like you fabindia, mine are free resourced as in the Big House over the Lane who have literally enough to last me about 4 years or so. Not that I want that many, wouldn't know where to put them!!
I'll just get some when I need some.

The joy about the Rayburn is that you can burn almost anything in it!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

It feels good to be prepared and even better when you have saved money doing it! :-D
wolfpelt
Lively Laner

Post by wolfpelt »

Spoke to our coal man today after your post ,and bags are £2,50 cheaper in the summer so ordered 6 bags
I get free wood from packing cases from a factoyr who as to Pay to h ave it taken away
Takes a bit of time to deconstruct but it's free warmth

Thanks for the tip
Richard

Post by Richard »

You've done well there Wolfpelt.

Richard )t' )t'