No-Spend Decorating

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

No-Spend Decorating

Post by Americanlady »

You'll probably laugh, but I found a way to paint two bedrooms in my house without spending any money at all. I have this cupboard in my utility room where I have been stashing partial cans of paint for years. The upshot was, by combining small amounts from about seven cans of different colors of paint, I came up with a gallon of blue (sort of a sky blue) and nearly a gallon of green (I like to call it "spring" green). By being careful not to waste as I painted, both colors were enough to do the jobs. I didn't paint the white woodwork (I didn't have any white) but cleaned it thoroughly and against the fresh colored paint, it looks just fine. Then I visited the local Goodwill store and found some really pretty white lacy panel curtains, very full, for the green bedroom for $5.00. They look really nice. So... total money spent for two bedrooms = $5.00. Love saving money!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: No-Spend Decorating

Post by rhubarb93 »

Brilliant tip! What I really like about this idea is that you ended up with something unique - colours that are probably more subtle than anything you could buy.
)ot: I sometimes do this with soups. I tell the family I hope they don't like it too much cos they'll never have it again!
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Thank YOU for the soup tip! I'm sure going to give that a try.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Every room in my house is painted magnolia. That way, there's only ever one tin of paint in my garage. And it's easy to touch up. )t'
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

That sounds brilliant! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think the magnolia might have been the way to go.
So much cheaper to buy a hugh tin.
But we have various shades of off-white. So now it's a question of - do we have Rose white mixed and just do 1 coat, or buy magnolia for half the price and have to do several coats. And would we then have to do the woodwork instead of leaving it.

I have half a tin of blossom white - a bit pinker than Rose-white, though you'd hardly notice in most lights. I'm going to use that for inside the Airing cupboard and hope it lasts out. I think I have some half tins from MIL, not even been used on our walls.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

Steve valentine wrote:Every room in my house is painted magnolia. That way, there's only ever one tin of paint in my garage. And it's easy to touch up. )t'

Yep..out here it's called Spanish white )grin2( the guys loved us when they came to do the repairs after the earthquakes..made their life very easy ...in fact so much so I think that's why they painted whole rooms (in fact just about the whole house).

That being said American Lady I think that's brilliant and it must have felt very saisfying when you get the end result... great money saver...I used to think paint was relatively cheap in the UK out here in NZ I think it's ridiculously expensive!! What's the cost like in the USA?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Great tip AL )t' it's lovely having a fresh lick of paint on the walls :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
jacquih
Longlasting Laner

Post by jacquih »

rhubarb93 wrote:Brilliant tip! What I really like about this idea is that you ended up with something unique - colours that are probably more subtle than anything you could buy.
)ot: I sometimes do this with soups. I tell the family I hope they don't like it too much cos they'll never have it again!

Yikes you paint with soup!!!! yike*

Jacquih >mmm<
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

As for th cost for paint here in the US, I usually buy mine from Walmart because it isn't as expensive as regular paint stores. For satin or flat wall paint it usually costs about $16 - $20 per gallon. I really didn't save all that much money, but even more importantly, I was able to use up something instead of just producing more waste for the landfill.
I believe in reusing and using things up whenever I can. Still, it was fun to get two nice clean fresh rooms for no money spent! That's always a kick, isn't it.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Great stuff there.

One gallon is 4.5 litres so over here a 5 litre tin would be around the same, possibly more depending on colour and brand.

Make good of what you've got, sounds like you're really getting to grips with your quest.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

I tried that years ago but made the mistake of mixing gloss with emulsion( >ire< Stupid or what),I think you can guess the result.
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I must admit that I did mix interior and exterior paint, but it seemed to work ok. i wasn't sure what I was going to get, but so far no problem!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

paddy graham wrote:I tried that years ago but made the mistake of mixing gloss with emulsion (Stupid or what),I think you can guess the result.

No exactly. Was it streaky?

I've done half a job and gone to buy more paint, come back with silk instead of matt.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Yes Mo,Gloss is oil based and emulsion is water based,so oil mixed with water is not a good mixture. {warn}
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.