Oven cleaning

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Oven cleaning

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not quite sure if this is in the right place, but here goes.
Our oven went wrong and we had an engineer out under the guarantee. During a general conversation he said his company used to clean peoples ovens, so me being me asked him how they did it.
Apparently they put a metal bowl filled with 1.5 litres of water on the bottom shelf of the oven, put the temp to hot and leave to steam, then went in with a cloth and wiped clean. If the dirt/grease did not come off at first wipe, then you repeated. I thought the ideal time to do this would be after you had cooked when the oven is already hot/warm, so not heating up from a cold.
I asked him if he had anymore gems of info and he told me about putting a dishwasher tablet in the washer once a week, setting on a 90deg wash with no clothes in and this worked just as well as putting a limescale tablet in at every wash. He also said that if limescale tablets were used on a regular basis with the washing in the tub that eventually the clothes tended to go hard. Obviously depending on how much you use the washer would depend on how many times you put the dishwasher tablet in.
The third thing was that if/when you use your tumble dryer, which I don't very often, but if you put some lime juice in the filter not only do your clothes smell nice, but it dissolves the fluff.
Maybe a lot of you knew these tricks, but I certainly didn't, so hopefully it will be of use to someone.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Oven cleaning

Post by lancashire lass »

I seem to remember the bowl of water in a microwave oven (with some lemon juice ... I think but don't quote me) but I suppose it is the same principle of using a steamer to lift off grease.

Some good tips there )t'
manda

Post by manda »

)like(

I like using natural things...never heard of lime juice in the filter...although we don't really use the tumble dryer it's good to know
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

That's a good tip about the oven. Some companies charge a fortune to come and clean your oven, I remember my sister in law having someone to do theirs when they were moving. And I don't like to use those really smelly chemical cleaner things yike* Not too sure about the dishwasher tablet cleaning limescale though. Why do you still get limescale in the dishwasher, or have I read that wrong?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Thanks for the info Gwenoakes! I have a self clean oven but the grill isn't & doubles up as a second oven so I might try it on that. We rarely use it as an oven but grill bacon & sausage sometimes & get fat splashes from that.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I bought a reconditioned washer and I have tried every thing to make it smell clean and my sister told me that apparantly the dishwasher tablets areally supposed to work well in them.
The detal one worked for a dayr two max, I'm going to have to save for a new one I think
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

have a look at espares site They sell spares, and give advice on various problems. If it is second hand & you haven't got the manual you can often find them online. Depends how brave you feel.
I am waiting for my son-in-law to bleed my dining-room radiator. I can do the others but that one was 'fixed' by a plumber a couple of years ago, and he has a stronger wrist than me or my daughter.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

Linda S wrote:I bought a reconditioned washer and I have tried every thing to make it smell clean and my sister told me that apparantly the dishwasher tablets areally supposed to work well in them.
The detal one worked for a dayr two max, I'm going to have to save for a new one I think
Lindaxx

Is that a dishwasher or a washing machine Linda? Have you tried putting a bowl of vinegar and water into the machine (on it's own) and running a full cycle? It shoots the vinegar all over the washer and the acid in that can break down any bits that are hidden in crevices....don't know if you've tried it already but if not it might work
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Yes, I'd heard about vinegar as well. I'll try the steaming thing on our oven - thanks for the tip - though I did get quite good results on a warm oven with soda crystals, which are cheap and can go in our septic tank. Like the idea of just steaming, though.
manda

Post by manda »

Freeranger wrote:Yes, I'd heard about vinegar as well. I'll try the steaming thing on our oven - thanks for the tip - though I did get quite good results on a warm oven with soda crystals, which are cheap and can go in our septic tank. Like the idea of just steaming, though.

I'm like you free...we are on a septic tan so you have to think of things that won't ruin that.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Well, I can vouch for the steaming - worked a treat! Thanks for the tip.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear it, FR. Have to admit I have not tried it yet. :oops: