white vinegar

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
kitla
Legendary Laner

white vinegar

Post by kitla »

a week ago I accidently managed to tip a bottle of fabric conditioner over the floor. I searched the web for an alternative to tide me over -vinegar! It took me a few goes to be brave enough to use enough, but having just washed a couple of thick jumpers I am happy that it really works! There's no smell on the clothes but I add a splash of lavender oil too just incase. As an added bonus, my washing machine drawer is now really clean & free from the usual build up of black mildewy stuff.
Does anyone know a good place to get large containers of vinegar?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Re: white vinegar

Post by manda »

Yep it's good isn't it.

I had a little www search and you get it off Amazon 4x 5l containers for 12.79 which seems pretty good - depending on delivery costs to you

Look locally at large Chinese and Asian supermarkets, cash and carry warehouses or Costco they're often good for cheap vinegar in large quantities.

I put it in spray bottles as well to clean
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I just buy White distilled vinegar from Aldi or Tesco, about 40p for 500ml. I have read before that its not a strong as White vinegar but still cleans well. Does anybody else know if there is much difference? As always if you google it, there are many different opinions!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Think its the same thing WM, if anything distilled should be stronger. Thanks Manda, I'm on it!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I use white vinegar for a lot of cleaning around the house as we have a septic tank so have to be careful what we can use. I've used it as a fabric conditioner for years now with a touch of essential oil as I always thought bought fabric conditioner could leave a funny smell on clothes. I always get it from Wilko, £1 for 750ml. I also get bicarb, washing soda and other basic cleaning stuff from there as it seems to be cheaper than anywhere else. I usually buy in bulk and get it delivered to save carrying the heavy stuff.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I bought some cheap brown vinegar yesterday, it's great for cleaning my steaming pan and baskety thing inside. Dilute it with water, fill pan up to the top with basket inside, leave for 24 hours, a brush over with wash up brush and all the gunge falls off. )t'

Ilona
Melisa
Learner Laner

Post by Melisa »

It's fine with just a little bit but dont drink too much