Wildlifemad's Frugal February!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Wildlifemad's Frugal February!

Post by wildlifemad »

I've had a good savings bash so far.
1) Car insurance (2 cars) is due on 11th & reading all the horror stories of how much its gone up again I was dreading the renewal coming. It arrived & actually hadn't gone up too much & some of that was down to them adding breakdown which was free last year as it was a new policy. Taking that off the renewal wasn't bad at all but I like a bit of a battle so phoned another couple of places. One was pretty close & the other over £100 dearer! I then phoned my current insurer & explained I'd got a pretty good deal so they worked on the quote & its come in at a saving of £39.20, so for 2 cars fully comprehensive it is less than £500!
2) The boiler cover we have was also due, the renewal came in £2.36 per month dearer than last year, so I got on the phone & they've reduced it back to what I was paying last year so a saving of £28.32 over the year.
3) My mobile (SIM only) was just on a rolling monthly contract so no penalties for moving. I only paid £8.74 a month for 300 mins, 5000 texts & bit of data (which I don't really use too often). We are with BT for our landline & internet & they were offering SIM for £6 a month with unlimited mins & texts & more data so I have changed to that saving me £32.88 over the year. It also helps with not worrying about running out of free minutes as I get phone calls regarding Mum in law who leave me mobile numbers to call them back on now I don't need to worry!
I make that a saving of £100.40 not bad really!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Wildlifemad's Frugal February!

Post by Mo »

Well done.
And you'll have FF next year to remind you that all those deals might be coming to the end of their cheap temping offers. That does annoy me, once you switch it can be a treadmill or they put you onto something dearer and hope you won't notice.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Thanks Mo. It annoys me as well that most of the time you get nothing for being loyal to a company but out of the three deals I've done only one of them is a move to another company so thankfully the other two suppliers realised you need to keep the customers you have! I always say, with insurance you only know how good a company is when you have to claim from them!
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Not sure if this counts but Tesco sent me a £5 voucher to say thank you for shopping with them & sorry the service wasn't great at times in the run up to Xmas! Not sure if every Clubcard member got one or just certain areas of the country but hey ho it saved me £5 on my shopping!!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

wildlifemad wrote:Not sure if this counts but Tesco sent me a £5 voucher to say thank you for shopping with them & sorry the service wasn't great at times in the run up to Xmas! Not sure if every Clubcard member got one or just certain areas of the country but hey ho it saved me £5 on my shopping!!

Thanks for that tip off, I shall look for mine in the post. Is there a minimum spend like when you get the normal money off vouchers? I very rarely use mine because I can never get up to £40 or whatever. Could I go in the shop and come out with exactly £5's worth of goods? Free sounds good to me.

Ilona
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Hi Ilona. There was no minimum spend on the voucher which was even better as I struggle to use the min spend ones as there are only 2 of us & I don't buy much from Tesco. Be interesting if you get one as well or if it was certain areas where the stores struggled & had a lot of complaints.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Nothing in the post so far. Our big Tesco seems to do alright for customers so perhaps we won't get one. Will live in hope.

ilona
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Went into Aldi first thing for shopping, didn't need much but always have a look for bargains! They had Valentines socks reduced from £1.99 to 79p for 2 pairs so I bought a couple of packs of ladies either for me or presents. When they went through the checkout, they went through at 19p so I went & got another 2 packs!
8 pairs of socks for 76p has pleased me no end!!! I must lead a sad life!!!