I blame SCOUTING .......

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I blame SCOUTING .......

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , I was reading a bit on here and it comes to mind .
Bob a Job Week , taught me that if you are mindful and put lots of time and effort , you can turn a dollar pretty easily , from selling Rhubarb on a Sunday morning , washing cars , doing odd jobs , when young , even singing in church choir for money , doing well 1 a service 25 pence for a wedding , till I got caught reading a COMMANDO war book in the song book and not singing . Vicar said solo or do not come back , so end of my professional singing carreer . Annoying thing is that I got confirmed at 12 and spent time doing that for no return now.
Point is from doing Bob a Job I now look for opportunities to make a bob or 2 .
So the things you get up to in your youth tend to stay with you for life . Also the days I was brought up in was shall I say East End living , which you might say was not totally honest way. Manors and codes of conduct was very important , as much as the football team you supported (which I did not . Another story there.
Like national service it can do you good and also some bad .
Does not mean I am a bad person but more like a trotters dealer and wheeler .
Some of the things I did did not work quite right as I am not a millionaire.
Bob
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: I blame SCOUTING .......

Post by Freeranger »

I suppose lots of us are looking for the main chance, but it's not so easy to spot....

If you work it out, please let me know!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Bit late but joining the Ford Motor co. Ltd on the production lines at the age 21 years .
41 years plus and can say a good choice of career .
trouble the opportunity came and went and now little chance of getting in the same work.
Cannot even guess at what a youngster should go for but apprenticeship is my leaning . Cannot all be office workers ....
Do not go for the lottery , never win .
Sometimes you have to be happy with what you got/get.
Bob
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Cannot even guess at what a youngster should go for but apprenticeship is my leaning . Cannot all be office workers ....

True, but I think technology and artificial intelligence is taking a new leap forward but like everything else, competition from overseas countries like China for example means no job is ever secure especially as manufacturing in the UK is much reduced since the 1970s/1980s. Climate change and environmental issues are also very much headline news for years to come so anything that needs a more friendly approach will be heavily sought after - such as replacing plastics with alternatives, building homes that reduce carbon emissions, cars and so on - so those type of industries are still sought after. And then there is the usual fall-back of plumbers, builders etc - we'll always need someone with those skills - but like everything else, the balance of training in a chosen career and there being work available to employ so many seems to be down to economics.