Winter is coming

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Winter is coming

Post by Dorrens daughter »

So besides keeping on with the knitted squares for an all wool king sized blanket using wool left over from all the jumpers I've knitted over the years. Its time to bring the plant pots and bread tin off the balcony and get out the tea lights to warm up the living room and save on using the economy 7 heating system.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Winter is coming

Post by Gwenoakes »

I was having thoughts on how to keep warmer for less cost the other week. We have had a company in for solar panels, just got the quote yesterday and tbh was quite surprised at how reasonable it was. Another company coming in on Weds to give us a quote so will compare them and then decide which way to go.
I was also thinking about light bulbs as since we moved here a lot of them are not eco friendly, so will sort this out over the coming weeks too.
I once knitted a large blanket but found it too big to fit in the washing maching and too heavy to lift when I managed to wash it by hand in the bath. Have you had any thoughts on how you will wash it?
We have had an ongoing problem with the central heating......rads not working properly and all upstairs rads on when only water is switched on but have had not much luck getting a plumber to sort it out. We need thermostats on all the rads, we have some, but not all of them are working, so another things to get stuck into, although have had plumbers out during the summer, but not one of them have come back to me with a quote to fix!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My rad thermostats sometimes stop working. It is quite simple (when you know how) to fix them by pulling the top off and wiggling the little metal pin. I'd seen Jim do it but when my rad stuck the first time I had to do it on my own I called out a plumber - wasn't sure enough to pull hard enough to get it off. He thought that would be the problem - and showed me how to do it. But it wasn't, and though I thought I had bled all the radiators he found another bleed point at the bottom of the rad and got a lot of air out, then I could have a warm rad at dinnertime.
I assume you've tried using the bleed key.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah, light bulbs. The old inefficient ones seemed to last hardly any time. I've just bought a load of LED replacements (would have got them before but couldn't see bayonet fittings, had a brainwave and went to our splendid local DIY shop (tiny but sells all sorts including seed potatoes in sacks so you can buy a few of each sort). I don't think I'll put them in till the old ones blow, though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Post by Dorrens daughter »

I've not had to buy light bulbs for years kept getting freebies. Meanwhile I've never had any problem with washing my knitted blankets just put them in the machine on a woollen wash. When my hand knitted jumpers get a bit worn out looking I put them in the washing machine on a hot wash which felts them then make children's toys out of them and visiting children have taken them home.
Zoey
Learner Laner

Post by Zoey »

Dorrens daughter, I loved your idea of turning sweaters into toys for kids. What a cool way of upcycling sweaters!