Problems with massive tablets

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Problems with massive tablets

Post by Spreckly »

By mistake I bought Glucosamine tablets from a well known health food store. I thought I was buying my normal capsules, but when I opened the bottle, was annoyed to see what I had got, and I had bought a second one in the penny sale.

A few years since, I almost choked on the same size monster, and thankfully my oldest son realised what was happening, and gave me a mighty thump on my back, which shot the villain out.

So I wasn't going down that road again. I tried grinding the tablet between two spoons, using a pestle and mortar, dissolving it in hot water. The two former attempts did not work, and drinking the thing in cooling water made me feel sick.

The simple solution was a pill crusher, and it works! I take the powdered tablet in a spoonful of yoghurt, and to cap it all, my friendly health food store manager let me exchange the unopened bottle AND I got fifty pence credit when I bought the replacement. I still have about fifty days pill crushing to go through, but haven't wasted any of the pills.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Problems with massive tablets

Post by Gwenoakes »

You know what they say, Spreckly - where there is a will there is a way. Well done for thinking outside the box.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Gwen. I can hardly wait to finish the bottle, not even half way through! Unwilling to throw the contents out, Ilona would be proud of me!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Could you not just break the tablets in half. I am lucky and don't have a problem with taking tablets.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We tried breaking the tablets in half Granny, but the inside edges are so very sharp. Pill crusher in use every morning!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Still wading through my massive tablets. I have just under a month to go now, the pill crusher is doing a reasonably good job, still some lumpy, sharp pieces though.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Keep persevering, Spreckly
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My original pill crusher became useless. So the friendly chap in the shop exchanged it for a new one, which is not one hundred per cent a success. I still get bits with sharp edges.

I used a rolling pin in between pill crushers, and it did a good job, thouh the polythene bag containing the tablet took a hammering.

I FINISH the tablets on Sunday, can't wait! In future I shall check carefully to see that I have bought capsules.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Big YAY for the finish on Sunday, Spreckly. )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

I know what you mean.
What is it about glucosamine.
I have a problem even with paracetimol. But I got capsul's and nearly chocked they were so big. In the end I had to pierce each one and squeeze it in my mouth....horrid !
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

That sounds revolting Wendy. Yes, it was Glucosamine, picked up in error for the capsules. Only three more to go - I did feel like chucking the last lot on the fire, but being frugal, not to mention mean, I am getting my money's worth.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have had the last massive tablet. )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning