Advice on cleaning a fabric sofa?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Advice on cleaning a fabric sofa?

Post by Freeranger »

We have a plain apple green (i.e. shows every mark) sofa - fabric unknown but a kind of synthetic coarse linen-effect weave. Somebody - naming no names, but he knows who he is }hairout{ - has spilt their dinner on it.
To be honest, it was looking a bit grubby anyway, and now the whole thing needs a d*mned good clean. We don't have a wet&dry hoover, and the marks are greasy.
Any suggestions on how to go about it would be gratefully received.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Advice on cleaning a fabric sofa?

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not really got much idea other than if there is a grease mark I seem to remember from my dim and distant past putting a brown paper bag over it and ironing with a cool iron.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'll try that as a starter for ten. Thanks, Gwen.
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Post by Dorrens daughter »

Just a thought, after the warm iron treatment on the grease stain, maybe try that carpet cleaner powder stuff. I've never used it but you just shake it all over, leave for a while then hoover.
If that doesn't do the trick then get a nice throw to put over it when guests are expected or make another cover to slip over it. One that can be removed and washed.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks for the suggestion, DD - still looking a mess so will try the powder.