Who knows a bit about what ?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
p.penn

Re: Who knows a bit about what ?

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

Post by monkey_biz »

i can order a beer in about 20 different languages. hey ex navy what do you expect )t'
Being diagnosed with Aspergers at 44 doesnt mean i now have a lable to be used against me it means i am fully in control and a lot more intelligent than i look!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I can a few, but all of them with body language 8) )grin2(
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

What a very talented bunch you all are )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

I was originally an Agricultural mechanic/engineer; probably in the top ten in the world ... having started out as an apprentice mechanic for a local IH dealership in in 1978, and finishing this particular career in 2003 after 9 years in the position of Research & Development Engineer for both Claas farm machinery and Caterpillar.

Since then I have spent time as a hydraulic engineer in the North Sea and Brazilian off-shore energy fields, mainly working on Geo-survey vessels and wind turbines, and for the last 18 months I've had my own small business. Initially starting out to build cargo carrying bicycles, tricycles and quads, but also working on the pre-production prototype ranges of bicycles now offered by 2 very well known car manufacturers (and another car maker as some of my current work in progress).

I am getting a very good reputation of being able to do the steel tube and pipe manipulation jobs that other companies don't want to touch, which has lead me into the area of making and exporting pack frames and saddles frames for: Camels, Mules, Llamas and Elephants.

I am beginning to work more with laminations in Glass, Carbon and Boron fibres, and this is leading me into the areas of alternative fibre laminations and small scale engineering in plywood.
Regards

Gareth
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

What is the Boron used for ?? +confused+
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

Steve the Gas wrote:What is the Boron used for ?? +confused+

It is part of the composite in one of the weaves of laminating materials I use. It was very popular a few years back to make fishing rods from.
Regards

Gareth
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)t'
Just another question, you've been on rigs, why do they flare off?
Is it beyond us still to capture the stuff or is it got too many impurities in?
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

Steve the Gas wrote:)t'
Just another question, you've been on rigs, why do they flare off?
Is it beyond us still to capture the stuff or is it got too many impurities in?

That is usually excess methane gas produced in the accommodation blocks when baked beans have been on the menu. )t'

A better explanation than I can give can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_flare
Regards

Gareth
silverleaf79
Learner Laner

Post by silverleaf79 »

Not sure if any of my skills are useful to anyone else, but here goes...

* Wild hedgehog rehabilitation, treatment and release.
* Cooking, especially baking. I love trying different recipes, and have catered for 50+ on quite a few occasions.
* Dog training (positive only) and psychology. No qualifications (apart from an A in my psych A Level ;) ), but the theory's all there.
* Self-help, cognitive behaviour therapy, etc., for mental health problems. I used to run a self-help group for people with anxiety and depression and I'm pretty good at listening.
* Basic knitting and crochet, almost exclusively restricted to small cuddly animals but it translates into bigger stuff as well, including reading patterns. And very basic sewing and embroidery.
* Polymer clay techniques - I'm practically a walking encyclopaedia! Colour mixing, etc. Making and repairing jewellery. 2-part resin.
* Basic music theory, singing, vocal training, writing simple harmony. And if you want a small choir for a wedding or something in the South Yorkshire area, I can probably sort something out. ;)
* Organic vegetable gardening.
* Simple DIY - some woodwork, tiling/grouting, laminate flooring, stuff like that.
* Guinea pigs, including breeding, colour genetics, getting 2 unrelated males to live together.

Wow, that's a bit of random mix, huh? ;)
silverleaf79
Learner Laner

Post by silverleaf79 »

Oh and also as a birdwatcher I'm pretty good at IDing British birds (except rare migrants etc.), a fair few of which I can do by song/call.

I'm one of those (probably irritating) people who know lots of useless little facts about a million different things, and feel the need to share them all the time.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

You look (prettier) and sound like a better version of me- minus the girlie sh.....
Do you have any knowledge/advice about Dyspraxia per chance?
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

:-D Havent posted on here before but thought maybe I had better.

I know a fair bit about nutrition (and about to do a course in nutritional therapy);
have a qualification in walking for health;
do loads of decorating and DIY, not an expert, but passable;
sewing, knitting and related crafts - just started making vintage dresses from authentic vintage patterns, also make kitchen stuff, like aprons and place mats (have inherited an embroidery machine, so planning to start putting my own embroidery on these items);
did a course in interior design (i'm traditional, rather than modern);
legal expertise in the field of family law - realationship breakdowns and the resultant problems when one parent is denied access;
Board member (and Chair) of a national charity (not much use unless you want to know how a Board runs - or doesnt/shouldnt run, as the case may be).

All very useful, but hardly anything 'country-ish' or self sufficient; have loads of ideas and can usually put them into practice though, and can dig for Britain! :-D

Oh and I can talk for Britain too :-D
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

roddelmae wrote:On the subject of car mechanics (sorry if )ot: ) has anyone made the same mistake that I made once. I was drawing a half-shaft from an old-fashioned live axle, and found the garage wall in the way! yike*

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Gwiz
Learner Laner

Post by Gwiz »

I'm a Horticultural Equipment repairer.
Mowers, Strimmers, Chainsaws, Ride-ons, Hedge cutters,
That sort of thing.
Happy to help If I can.
Graham.