laying paving slabs on concrete base

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

laying paving slabs on concrete base

Post by roddelmae »

I have a concrete patio in which the surface is breaking up. I would like to lay paving slabs on it, but I am unsure how to do it. If it were laying slabs on the ground there is plenty of advice about, but do I lay a bed of sand or sand/mortar on the concrete? I will also have to raise the level of a drainage manhole to the level of the slabs, but I think I know how I can do that. Any advice would be much appreciated. (By the way, the Boss hates decking, or that would be the obvious solution).
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
gromit
Lively Laner

Re: laying paving slabs on concrete base

Post by gromit »

don't know if it helps but I had the same problem with frost damage after last winter and i dug out the bad bits and patched it with a sharp sand mix with a touch of unibond in it, hasn't come out to bad, can see laying slabs a right faff to get level and a lot of heavy work be it a sand or mortar base, both of which should work.
How did I ever find the time to go to work
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Rod,
If the concrete is reasonably level I would use a base of sharp sand. If the edges are exposed (between the slabs and concrete base) you could point it with cement. Or you could also use cement to bed the slabs down probably a bit more work to get them all level though.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Rod,
Take a look at this link, it might help!:.. >gl<

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm#screed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Thank you all for your help. Silverback, the link you supplied is now in my favourites for future reference!
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'd not be the person to give advice, but I have a badly behaved patio so for my own use I had a look at the link SB posted - about 60% down the page it deals with bedding materials on sub-base and the circumstances for each. There are links for specifics, and I think it would answer your questions.

For raising the manhole cover, I think you can buy extenders that sit into the riser and lift it around 4". Or you could leave it inset below the flags as long as your drainage run-off is angled correctly.