laying flooring over damaged concrete

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

laying flooring over damaged concrete

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Our downstairs toilet has a bare concrete floor (we haven't made it that far in the decorating process yet, and the previous owners kept their dogs out there, so didn't bother with any flooring). I'm sick of it - it's impossible to keep clean & it's just grim :? The concrete is quite pitted and damaged in places.

It's been on my OH's list for a loooong time, and I can't see him getting to it any time soon. I want to get it sorted, but because it's such a small area, I don't really want to get someone in to do it.

Is this an easily diy-able job? What do I need to do to the damaged concrete before I can lay flooring? (I'm thinking of tiles if we have enough left from the kitchen, failing that, it will be vinyl flooring).

Thanks in anticipation +f+
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Steve the Gas

Re: laying flooring over damaged concrete

Post by Steve the Gas »

He needs to put down a Latex screed. Floor layers use this stuff, comes in bags with an additive to mix with it...only about 3mm thick is enuff and it fills gaps. Talk to a floor company they will put him in the right direction. )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Cheers Steve. That can be my job for the weekend )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We used a latex screed on our kitchen floor at our last house before putting vinyl down. Nick's not great at DIY but he managed it fairly easily )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Thanks Lucy :-D
garethj
Learner Laner

Post by garethj »

Hi as above use a self leveling compound fills gaps and gives a good finish then you can tile on top just make sure you use the correct floor tile adhesive for concrete )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Thanks Gareth :-D
garethj
Learner Laner

Post by garethj »

no probs any time )t'