Conservatory roof

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Conservatory roof

Post by MissEllie »

We've been trying to come up with a cheap yet nice looking way of keeping out some of the sun (assuming we get any) through the roof. but not sure what would work...we can't afford roof blinds, we were quoted £1600. in the summer it's too hot even with the doors open and it's so bright it's not the pleasant wee room we had hoped for.
We have a full brick fire wall and 2 wall of windows, there's no support beam because it quite a small room and the roof is fairly low pitched.
Any ideas much appreciated, Ellie
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Conservatory roof

Post by silverback »

We have a lean-to out the back with a polycarbonate sheet roof, this also gets hot in the summer, so we used some bamboo screening and suspended it from the wood rafters, done the job and looked good! )t' .

http://www.primrose.co.uk/bamboo-screen ... JKVcMe476t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I like that idea, cheers SB )t'

(edited coz I'm a numpty who doesn't know hers Bs from her Ss)
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

You could always coat the outside of the roof with greenhouse shading - a kind of thin paint that is easy to remove at the end of summer. Some sorts go clear when it's wet.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

The conservatory in our old house used to get unbearably hot and like you, were quoted silly money for roof blinds. We used net curtain wires and white muslin to create almost a tented roof inside. It still let some light in but kept out the worst of the heat and was easy to take down to wash now and then )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks for the ideas guys, a muslin roof sounds do able, only thing is, we're using the room as a den for our 15 year old son so would have to look suitably bloke-like...
I've never heard of greenhouse shading, will google it and see how easy it would be to use.
Thanks again, I can always rely on the Lane for help {hug}
Woody Allen
Meefirst234
Learner Laner

Post by Meefirst234 »

Hey there. Just bumping this thread to say that I agree with all of your ideas, they sound nice and cheap, well cheaper than getting blinds installed in any case (bamboo screening, muslin roof, greenhouse shading). I got pleated blinds on my conservatory windows almost half a year ago because I wanted a nice looking way to keep out some of the sun and to save some money on heating, but am a bit disappointed. I don't think they really do what they say they do. I wish I had read your ideas before buying them, maybe I would have come up cheaper. So I guess my advice is attractive descriptions like this one aren't always truthful: The slim 20mm pleats make the blind neatly fit into any size window. The blinds are particularly suitable for conservatories, orangeries and sunrooms. There are two types of pleated blinds, freehanging for windows and conservatory walls, skylight blinds for square and rectangular glass and conservatory ceilings. Our pleated blinds manufactured with ASC fabrics with their solar reflective backing will keep your conservatory cool in summer and save money on heating costs in winter. Our translucent fabrics gently filter and soften the light whilst still giving your room privacy. How much of them can you believe and not believe?
Have a nice day!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Definitely nets or muslin. You can die them too. I use them in my greenhouse as they are easier to clean than the paint stuff.

If/when we move I will have to run up a set for the conservatory too. I think I'll choose a nicer finish than 'some sort of green' for that though :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I remembered seeing this when I was looking for blinds -
How to make your own -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrq17R6lwPE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant