pallet advice

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
parker2030
Learner Laner

pallet advice

Post by parker2030 »

hi
im hoping to make some planters and seating out of pallets for the garden. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for me.
I live in birmingham and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to get pallets from as cheaply as possible or free as im on a tight budget.
thank you for any help
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: pallet advice

Post by lancashire lass »

Free pallets - wherever there is any building works such as home improvements, paving of drive-ways etc, the supplies are usually delivered on pallets which become surplus to requirement and are disposed of - just ask and I'm sure they'll be happy to give them to you. New house building sites might not be so willing as everything is controlled by H&S but again, no harm in asking. At my place of work we often get equipment delivered on pallets and have to be taken away, but in the meantime anyone interested can help themselves - I'm sure there are plenty of businesses in the same situation. And then there's always freecycle or gumtree - google the web for your area and you'll find loads of people putting ads in. You will need to have some way of transporting them though.

If you find blue stained pallets, these are not free and actually belong to someone - you really shouldn't take them. They are a heavier duty wood so might be tempting.

Why not try scaffold boarding for garden projects - admittedly not free, but they will last longer than pallet wood which is usually thin and poor quality. Again, freecycle + gumtree or find your local scaffold supplier to see if they have wood that is no longer safe to use.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: pallet advice

Post by Meanqueen »

I have an eye for spotting pallets, they seem to be crying out, 'Take me home', ha ha. No, seriously, if I see one as I am driving around and it looks decent, clean and not broken, I ask whoever it might belong to if I can have it. No harm in asking they can always say no.

Pallets do have a life though if you use them outdoors. You might be able to extend that by painting them with a preservative. I am just removing the pallets from my raised beds which have been there for 7 years, and replacing them with bricks.

I made an outdoor work table with pallets, it is 7 years old, and I have only had to replace some of the slats on the top. It will do for another couple of years. The pallets I have used for my summer house are partly painted on the outside, I am hoping it will last a few years . I made an indoor shoe rack for my porch, that is varnished and will last forever.

So, Parker. Keep your eyes open, industrial estates, back doors of diy warehouses, anywhere that they have deliveries on pallets, and always ask, don't just take them. It helps to have a big car. I have my back seats down permanently in my Focus estate, just in case. :-D
Ilona