Chrysanths and gro-bags

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Chrysanths and gro-bags

Post by Spreckly »

One gro-bag of tomatoes is over, so I have cut it back, and dragged it out of the greenhouse, replacing the area with chrysanths, which have been in a cold frame during the spring and summer. My query is, they have grown very leggy, the leaves are mainly at the top of the plants, so can I cut them back?

Second query is about used gro-bags, and I think I have asked this before, but can I use the compost for potting up young plants?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Chrysanths and gro-bags

Post by Mo »

No doubt others who really know the answer will be along soon. But I don't suppose you'd do any harm to pinch out the growing point, see if the grow bushy.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Mo, will try that. I don't want to kill them off, I bought some of them for one of Ted's birthdays, and have managed to keep them alive thus far.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Should be fine to take out the top. How far depends on how leafy they are down the tall stem as you must leave some leaves. It might also take more time for the flower buds to appear but your plants will be stronger. Good luck and hope you have a lovely show.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks June.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Spreckly wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 08:40 Second query is about used gro-bags, and I think I have asked this before, but can I use the compost for potting up young plants?
I know this is way too late to reply but for future reference, re-using gro bags is possible but bear in mind they are meant for one season's growth so are nutrient depleted. Especially if you have grown a fruiting crop like tomatoes which is nutrient demanding, and then want to grow other flowering plants afterwards

Mix in an all purpose fertilizer into the old compost (a slow release granular feed rather than liquid) which not only replaces the used NPK (nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium) but also essential micronutrients (like iron, magnesium, boron, calcium and so on) I would recommend Phostrogen All Purpose plant food but there are others on the market. Growmore on the other hand contains only the NPK so do look out for the essential nutrient list too.

What I also do is use bottomless plant pots (I can't remember the size but about 2L) and I partially sink them into the holes already made in the growbag from the previous crop, and part fill with fresh compost. The roots of young plants tend to grow near the soil surface so will take advantage of the fresh compost and as the roots go deeper, they will then tap into the added fertilizer. You could add fresh compost to the growbag direct at the planting holes, but the pot gives additional depth for roots to grow.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How did the Chrysanths do?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for your reply LL.

Mo - the chrysanths have done reasonably well. I am cutting them for the weekend, when it is Ted's anniversary.