Concern for the summer plants, colder weather.

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Concern for the summer plants, colder weather.

Post by Spreckly »

I have slowly been bringing odd pots and my two hanging baskets into the greenhouse. Tomorrow I am hoping my son will assist me in constructing some extra shelving, which keeps falling apart - no plants on it yet,thank goodness. The baskets on the side of the workshop have borage, poppies and nasturtiums still in them,and I have a beautiful dark red flower on one nasturtium plant. I shall be moving these baskets into the greenhouse shortly, in the hopes that they will survive the winter.

I planted dianthus some weeks since, they are in pots in my south facing bay window,and one has a bud on it. I have sown wallflower, antirrhinum and hollyhock seeds, all from packets, apart from seeds of the rogue hollyhock growing in the greenhouse. Already they are coming through,and to my relief, the lupin seeds I planted are doing well in their large plante

This year I have really enjoyed my garden, following bereavement, and cancer, it has been a therapeutic experience.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Concern for the summer plants, colder weather.

Post by lancashire lass »

Spreckly wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 16:55 The baskets on the side of the workshop have borage, poppies and nasturtiums still in them,and I have a beautiful dark red flower on one nasturtium plant. I shall be moving these baskets into the greenhouse shortly, in the hopes that they will survive the winter.
... these have grown like weeds in my garden (and allotment) before now - the borage might die back but re-emerges in spring, and they all, including the poppies and nasturtiums normally self seed in great numbers in autumn, so I'm sure they'll survive the winter. The downside may be with being in baskets (or pots), their roots unlike garden grown, may get frozen (from personal experience, even in an unheated greenhouse during particularly cold winter with snow and sub-zero temperatures) In the garden, the roots may have got more protection from surrounding soil / depth.