Moles

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Moles

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am having a problem with moles, got about 20 mounds now over a two week period.
Has anyone used anything that has actually worked? I really don't want to kill them, but at the rate they are going I will have no lawn or flowers/bushes left. They have gone under brickwork, wooden sleepers etc so are really make a mess.
I will make use of the soil they have so nicely pushed up and put in flower tubs though. )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Moles

Post by Mo »

Jim used to grumble about them. The molehills brought up stones to get in the mower blades, and the runs sank and made the grass uneven and hard to cut. Not sure he found anything that worked, didn't even catch them in the traps he set (I didn't like the idea of killing them either)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I found this article in The Telegraph of how to get rid of moles in your garden. I saw a similar trap on another site which involves locating a tunnel (not sure how you do that) and then digging a hole big enough to bury a bucket just below the tunnels either side, then covering the hole in the ground with wood to keep it dark ... the theory is that the mole will fall into the bucket and you can then do whatever you were considering. If you didn't want to kill the mole, moving it now when the weather is cold might not be the best option (it's probably been digging tunnels in your garden in preparation for winter!)
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for your replies.
That would be an awful lot of trench digging, LL as they are in the garden side of our plot and also in the horse paddock, roughly an acre, so not really the ideal. They have now decided to go over the road to the other paddock which is just under an acre!!
I have been looking on line and found something that is run on batteries that you put in the ground and it emits a sound and vibrates, so have ordered one of these. Apparently it covers approx 800 odd square metres.
Do not like the idea of the mousetraps.........might consider the water down tunnels if things get drastic, but will have to be before Feb as I think that is when they start to breed, but will check that out before doing.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Trouble is, if you get rid of one you are just making a vacancy for the next to move into.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Euphorbia are reputed to deter moles - https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Mole_Plant/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have some that seed every year, they are quite tall striking but not particularly pretty, but we rarely have moles. I suppose it wont get rid of them but may put them off coming back.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Mo wrote:Trouble is, if you get rid of one you are just making a vacancy for the next to move into.

My thoughts entirely, Mo....... }hairout{
kitla wrote:Euphorbia are reputed to deter moles - https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Mole_Plant/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have some that seed every year, they are quite tall striking but not particularly pretty, but we rarely have moles. I suppose it wont get rid of them but may put them off coming back.

Not heard of that plant, Kitla but daffodil bulbs are supposed to put them off and we must have hundreds of them in the garden.......obviously not working......
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

You might know common Euphorbia as Spurges (a weed) which grows up to a foot in height, and has sort of lime-green / yellow flowers (doesn't look much different from the leaves except you can see the little green stamens) The sap is an irritant so ideally never handle without gloves - some people can get nasty rashes (it didn't affect me)

There are commercial varieties for gardens see the RHS site (some come in pinky red flowers or purple stemmed/leaf with yellow flowers)
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

My mole stick has now arrived and it will be put in situ tomorrow, here's hoping.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, 18 days down the road and the mole stick has not worked. In fact they are worse now than they ever were, even coming up from under my 18" raised beds. from the size of the mole hills they must be really big and hefty, blooming things.
I will try the water down the holes over the next few days see if that makes any difference. Can look at the flowers mentioned too.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Never got round to the hosepipe down the mole hills, but they seem to have gone now, so am keeping everything crossed.
Not sure what it will be like to cut the grass though, they have made a terrible mess and I can see no end of tunnels leading to the mounds of soil. It will be fun...........
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

And the soil will have stones in to damage your mower.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Mo wrote:And the soil will have stones in to damage your mower.

I hope not, Mo, just bought a new mower.........I will check and check and check and check and still check and then probably still have stones!
Ain't life great if you don't weaken?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

check and check and wear goggles. Jim used to curse the moles.