Heat hating and loving plants

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Heat hating and loving plants

Post by albertajune »

While some plants are really struggling with the heat, lavender is going mad.
I picked a huge bunch yesterday which I have mixed with lavender oil and orris root. This is now drying to make lavender bags.
Alstroemeria also do very well in the heat and mine are giving such a good show despite being in the sun most of the day. I do find that the roses, all though having an abundance of flowers, lose them very quickly. They soon fade and drop.

Any ideas of what does well in a well drained and very hot flower bed? It is my front garden that has suffered this year and lots looking very sad, despite watering every other day with a hose. Something that I don't all together agree with but we are told that the reservoirs are still high. No rain here on the Hampshire, Berkshire border for weeks now and water butts empty. Praying for rain!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Heat hating and loving plants

Post by kitla »

My lavender has also done well. Its in a stone container & was going leggy, I was on the verge of replacing it but its looking great now! When I saw the forecast I chose Pelargoniums for my hanging containers, they cope very well with heat & drought, I guess they'd be ok in a bed too. Also doing well in containers are Chocolate cosmos, fuschias, Nicotiana sylvestris & jasmine & in a small bed Japonese Anenome & large Phlox, Rudbeckia is coming on, & of course sunflowers. I am watering alot though. Like yours my Roses have burst out & gone over quickly & the violas that arent in the shade look very unhappy.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Heat hating and loving plants

Post by Spreckly »

Our roses have been stunning this year, OH and I were saying at breakfast today that the petals are dropping quickly. My secateurs are busy!