A visit to a Thai garden centre

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

A visit to a Thai garden centre

Post by fabindia »

It's amazing what you can get for £24.00 here in Thailand. Yesterday, Wendy and I went to one of the numerous garden centres local to us here on Phuket. Unlike UK where garden centres tend to be very big and are run by large companies, these are much smaller affairs, much more like plant nurseries I would say.

I was just wanting a 'lipstick palm' (Cyrtostachys Renda) but you know what it's like when you pop into these places, you end up buying twice (or in the case five times) as much as you planned. Actually, as I recall, it was Wendy, wandering around saying, "oh that's beautiful", who end up making the selections. But as each plant only cost an average of 250 BHT (approx. £6.00) each, I thought I had a few bargins, compared with UK at least.

Here are a few pictures (actual ones I took this morning, so may be not the greatest)

1. Jasmine Bush
This is a small tree really and is already 5 ft tall. I was persuaded by my wife to buy this to plant under our porch as its flowers have the most exquisite perfume.

2. Bleeding Glory-Bower

It looks a it like a fushia to me but I gather it isn't related. Small white flowers with a brilliant red center.

3. Cyananthus Flavus

A large shrub with bold yellow flowers.

4. Cordyline Fruticosa Rubra

This, I am told, does better in the shade. Beautiful red leaves. We do see this in UK but as an indoor plant.

5. Cyrtostachys Renda

Known as the 'lipstick palm' or 'red sealing wax palm'. This one is just under 5 ft tall but they can grow up to 50 ft tall so a lot room for expansion. You can't really see it in my picture, but it has bright red stems and so makes an excellent ornamental palm in a tropical garden.

Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: A visit to a Thai garden centre

Post by Gwenoakes »

They look like really large plants for the price you paid and real bargains.
I absolutely love the fragrance of Jasmin and have four climbers in our back garden which always make me feel good when I pass them.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

As Gwen says, a real bargain for plants that large. I also love jasmine which has a really exotic perfume. Once established the garden will look glorious. Ours here are looking very sad with the now damp on the fallen leaves. Just looking mucky!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

The smell of jasmine always reminds of India, where they are fond of making garlands of jasmine and ladies will wear them in their hair.

Picture from littleindiadirectory.com
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

How beautiful!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.