Orange tree ? solanum

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Orange tree ? solanum

Post by Spreckly »

I bought one of the small orange trees, which come out in supermarkets and garden centres around Christmas time. As a child I was given one from my parents.

Disappointingly, all the flowers just drop, without setting fruit. I can't find anything on the internet about the care of them.

Has anyone else any knowledge of them, please?
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Orange tree ? solanum

Post by Grannyof4 »

Flowers and Fruit: Generally, flowering takes place in May, but may occur several times in the year with fruit setting each time. An enormous number of fragrant flowers appear, but only about 1% will set on the large trees (more than this would overload the branches when the fruit reaches full size). Calamondins and kumquats and some lemons set a higher percentage of fruit and may even have to be thinned to avoid weighing the branches down too much. Dry, hot conditions will not favour fruit set, which can be improved by misting the flowers..

Don't know if the above will help. Solanum is not orange tee as far as I can see, it is potato and aubergine
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for your reply, Granny. The flowers do look like the potato plant, but more scattered.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Is this it?
I was wondering if the flowers were falling because it was too dry, but I know some houseplants don't like being too wet, either. This says keep it damp and put it outside in summer.
I am very good at killing houseplants.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mo - yes, that is it, thank you for putting the link up. I do give it plenty of water, but will move it to a different window.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Had a peep at the link - my Mum used to have one, but I didn't know that was what it was. Temperamental flipping thing (plant). My recollection is that it liked just enough of everything - warm but not hot, just moist soil, lots of light but not direct sun, outside in summer to stay cool but not in draughts......you get the picture? She had hers in a pot which sat in a saucer of gravel and watered it occasionally from below. No idea if that's what others do. I think it liked just enough water and an odd misting. I think it's also happier with a bit of routine. If it's not doing well it may be that it's been a bit hot for it. I didn't realise it's supposed to drop some fruit: we thought princess plant was just a bit unhappy.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Had a peep at the link - my Mum used to have one, but I didn't know that was what it was. Temperamental flipping thing (plant). My recollection is that it liked just enough of everything - warm but not hot, just moist soil, lots of light but not direct sun, outside in summer to stay cool but not in draughts......you get the picture? She had hers in a pot which sat in a saucer of gravel and watered it occasionally from below. No idea if that's what others do. I think it liked just enough water and an odd misting. I think it's also happier with a bit of routine. If it's not doing well it may be that it's been a bit hot for it. I didn't realise it's supposed to drop some fruit: we thought princess plant was just a bit unhappy.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mo - thanks again for the link. I have put the plant outside, to see how it likes it there.

Freeranger - princess plant is an apt name!! Glad it isn't just me!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Glad the link moved the discussion on a bit.
Funny how something I've google unsuccessfully for someone else can find easily, and v.v.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire