Problems with pot plants

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Problems with pot plants

Post by Freeranger »

I have a hydrangea that was started as a cutting, as was a weigela. The weigela is in a pot outside and has developed a distinct reddish tinge. The hydrangea is indoors on a windowsill. It is a single stem that I pinched out, but it hasn't grown any side shoots. Its two lower leaves started to look a little red. I put a few blood, bone & meal pellets on the surface, but the leaves went yellowish and very pale. I also put some on the weigella pot, but it hasn't ade much difference - still red but otherwise OK-looking. Quite bushy.
Does anyone have any idea what's wrong, please? Maybe they do die back at this time of year? Could the hydrangea dislike a drafty spot? Suggestions welcome.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Problems with pot plants

Post by Mo »

Autumn?
Never thought of either as pot plants. Do you plan to keep them potted?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I took 18 cuttings off my Hydrangeas this summer and all 18 have grown well, but I have them all outside in plastic pots with just ordinary multi purpose compost.
I have also taken 12 more cuttings a few weeks later of black stemmed ones and so far, touch wood they are all OK too.
I do know that Hydrangeas need plenty of water and they can soak water up through their leaves.
I do think your Hydrangea would do better if you had them outside to be honest, but this is only my thoughts.
I did try H cuttings when Monty on Gardeners World said it was the right time and they all went to Australia.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I agree that hydrangeas should be outside. I don't think they like too much hot sun so maybe move yours from the windowsill. When my garden ones were young they needed lots of water. The leaves turning can be a sign of autumn. I think they can be grown in very large pots outside but don't do so well.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I can certainly put it outside - it didn't do well in its first year so I kept it in for TLC, but if outdoors is best then out it will go. The weigela's already out there, in a pot just because it was a cutting and I also hadn't decided on its resting pace. Do they die back completely in autumn and come back again in spring? Thanks for your replies, all.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am going to correct my post where I said 18 Hydrangea cuttings, I should have said 8 and then I took another 10 which at the moment are not doing too bad.
Hydrangeas die back, leaves fall off and flower heads die. I just cut flower stems right back to base and anything else that looks as though it will look untidy when regrowth starts.
I know that there are some Hydrangeas that should not be cut back...…….my daughter has told me, but which ones I do not know.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I am now cutting the flower heads and drying them before they die back properly.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I haven't had flowers on it, but there were signs of buds at the leaf/stem nodes, so maybe it was getting around to it. Hmm - a cutty back one or a not-cutty-back one? I wonder how I tell. I'll look that up. I think I need to get that right because it is just a single stem.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I read that you should be careful when you deadhead Hydrangeas as the flower buds form just below the old flower. Mind you, mine is in a narrow border in front of the kitchen and there is an invasive (but beautiful) Hypericum on the other side of the path so I have to do a fair bit of cutting back or I'd never get past. Even so I get wet if it's rained.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire