Can I put milk on the compost heap?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Can I put milk on the compost heap?

Post by Mo »

I have a pint of milk that I don't want to drink (bought a 4pint orange stickered and about to be chucked, 13p and have used most of it). Will it benefit or harm the compost heap?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Can I put milk on the compost heap?

Post by KathJ »

Hi Mo, I don't really know but would it not start to smell when it's turning???
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

It probably depends on how much milk but you can just drain it out on to the soil rather than specifically into a compost heap. Milk high in protein and calcium will just break down in the soil by bacteria and release nutrients so all good. Found a link here: Milk as Fertilizer

As for risk of smells, maybe if the compost heap is open to weathering (rather than one of those dalek ones with a lid), it should be fine. Having saying that, throughout the summer months I had been tipping the morning tinkle into my composting bin with all the card and paper and peelings every day and I was surprised that not once did it ever smell like a toilet. Now that the weather is cooling down, lots of natural soil bacteria will be slowing down so I'll wait until spring before starting it up again.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Thanks for that link. I can't see me buying milk to put on plants but very occasionally I get some that's gone off. It works well in scones too (if just turning), but I couldn't use it all up this time.

I wouldn't notice if it did smell, as my dalek is at the bottom of a very long garden.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire