Japanese Knotweed !

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Japanese Knotweed !

Post by Richard »

Hi

I thought I saw some shooting up outside my kitchen window, about 6 plants.

Apparently they've been growing for a few years (I only changed Flats in December so hadn't noticed).
It looks like they've spread from the garden behind.

I've told 'Management' but obviously nothing they can do for now, I think it's best to treat in Autumn and I'm not digging down 1 to 2 meters of a stretch around 50 feet long.
For now I'm just cutting them a few inches below ground level and leaving them to dry out and speak to the Gardeners who come in about disposal.

Has anyone else had this and how did you get rid of it ?

[center]Image[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Japanese Knotweed !

Post by Spreckly »

Hopefully it will not spread too much this year and can be treated at the appropriate time.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ooo that is difficult to get rid of. But you have to report it to the Council I think.

Around the river down the road, it really got a hold. It has taken them a good few years to get rid of it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Ouch that will be painfully expensive for whoever owns that piece of land.
It is so, so difficult to get rid of, even the people who's job it is I don't think will guarantee they can rid anywhere of it.
We looked at a bungalow some years ago, very nice it was, but it had an enormous amount of JK in the garden which had come from the next door neighbour.
If my memory serves me correct it can lay dormant for years, goes metres into the ground and can upend foundations, but and this was the good news for us having horses, it is not poisonous to horses. After looking into the cost and finer details we decided not to buy the bungalow.
I think I was told not to cut it at all as this encouraged growth spurts. It used to be that it was mandatory to report it and from wherever it had come they were responsible for getting rid of it.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I've never had it but remember an item on telly ages ago, where they were advising someone who had it (I think - could have been ground elder, but I think it was JK caught early)
They dug a 2m deep narrow channel about 1m from it's leading edge, then put corrugated iron as a physical barrier and backfilled the trench. Then they smothered it out at the top, and mowed around it at low setting very regularly to make sure nothing grew. Cuttings were burned.
I think this may be less effective when it's still growing vigorously on the other side.
If I remember rightly, they did advise spraying, but the land-owners didn't want to.
It might also be worth telling the owner of the offending property, because ultimately they may have to pay for any rectification on your side and might appreciate the heads up.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Crikey !!

Here's a heatmap for the UK..

https://environetuk.com/exposed-japanese-knotweed-heat-map

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Goodness, rather unnerving.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I was just looking at the RHS's site for other reasons, and found a section on common weeds. They say small infestations can be treated with glycophosphate in various formulations:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=218