Natural rooting compounds

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Natural rooting compounds

Post by Freeranger »

I read and filed away for later a comment that LL made about soaking chitted spuds in seaweed, and wondered - in the absence of either sea or weed - I might be able to use instead.
Going on the intertubes there was a bit of discussion about cinnamon (maybe just a fungicide with no rooting properties) and also willow water.
Does anyone have experience of these or any other kind of natural rooting product?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Natural rooting compounds

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not a clue, FR, but I will be watching to see who answers and what is said.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Freeranger wrote:I read and filed away for later a comment that LL made about soaking chitted spuds in seaweed

ah, don't forget that the spuds had already chitted but the tubers were shriveled because I was leaving it late so I just wanted to give them a boost prior to planting. Not quite the same as rooting hormone, seaweed naturally contains growth hormones which would activate the leaves and roots to grow.

I decided to do a google search and this site looks promising if you haven't already seen it - it mentions comfrey or nettle tea as an alternate to the willow water that you found (I learned something new there) The cinnamon and another suggestion of honey or even your own spit (providing the plants are not poisonous) have anti-bacterial properties so should help to prevent bacterial rot of the stem until the roots appear.

Gardening Know How
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks for the link, LL - an interesting read.
With a short growing season here, anything to get an advantage is welcomed. Also cheap, lower carbon, and organic.