Sowing wild flower seeds

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Sowing wild flower seeds

Post by Spreckly »

I have received four small packets of wild flower seeds, and want to sow them in my now abandoned vegetable plot. The instructions say May - June sowing, but July 3rd is not way out.

Have any of you done this? The ground has some weeds, though I try and pull up as many as I can, but I don't want to have to dig the area up, for health reasons.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Sowing wild flower seeds

Post by Mo »

Sounds good. Would it be worth saving part of each packet to sow next year (belt & braces).
Some flowers you can also plant in the Autumn for earlier flowers. I got a free packet of Calendula with my order for bean seeds and they said spring or autumn. I planted half in containers, and will do the same later. In our old garden the calendula self seeded like mad.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I did wonder about sowing some in pots in the greenhouse Mo.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

You could try a small amount in the greenhouse, and some outside in the raised beds and see which works best. I cannot see there being a problem with putting them in now as it is only a few days over what they say, Spreckly.
It may be good to watch those in the greenhouse if it gets hot, maybe take them out in the day and put back at night when warm.
Let us know how you get on.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Late last year (December/January) I bought loads of different wildflower seeds with intentions of an early spring sow but after a very wet start (heavy rains), very dry conditions then followed so there never seemed to be a good time and before long, the moment to sow was missed. The other week I watched Gardener's World and Monty showed the patch of wildflowers he'd sown in early August last year. As this is only about 4-5 weeks off, I've decided to aim for that. Some seeds will germinate and start to grow then go dormant over winter while others will need a cold snap to encourage germination in early spring. And because they will be established by spring when normally you'd just start to sow seeds, they will flower earlier and have a longer season. Well, that's my plan .... this link has some good advice.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I don't have raised beds, but have scattered half the packet (I have four, an offer from Amazon), on bare soil, and the other half in a seed tray, with a germinator type lid on. I could bring them outside, which is what I did with the wallflower seeds. I still have three unopened packets left.