which chooks to choose

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kitla
Legendary Laner

which chooks to choose

Post by kitla »

We've been discussing which 3 hens to get. I'm thinking that bantums
may not be the best for us, as they're more likely to escape into nextdoor's
(has nice veg patch!) or the field (fence is lower our side).

The family favourites so far are - a buff Orpington, a Faverole, & a silkie.

Does anyone have any advice about these breeds? good or bad.
I never see any good old mixed up cross bred hens, aren't they more healthy like in dogs?
Also, I've read that hens can be immunised against various things, should
we do this? or do we expect the breeder to do this?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Re: which chooks to choose

Post by 4pigs »

Hello to you
I really dont know enough about the pure breeds to be able to give a good overview. I just love the "look" of Orpingtons though!
I dont know of anybody that has had any of theirs immunised but somebody will be along soon that will be able to help you.

Jo
wendy

Post by wendy »

Mine are ex battery hens and one orpington who is gorgeous. She is the only one who has ever gone over the fence and is twice the others size. So the fencing is the key, rather than the size of the chook. If the chickens can get out then a fox can get in.
I would think if you got a chicken from a 'proper' breeder they would be vaccinated when young, or I hope they would. Ex battery hens are all vaccinated up to the hilt.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

Hello

Ive got a mix of pure breeds, hybrids and ex batties. Really its want you want. I wanted eggs so Ive got 3 Rhode Island Reds coz I just love my original Rhodie so had 2 more. Ive also got a light sussex pure breed simply coz I wanted a good english chicken as I class my Rhodies as American. Im slightly batty!! With Opringtons you got get many eggs but they are lovely looking birds. I love the Flaveroles and I one day I will have one. There was an article in the Poultry Magazine and they seem to be quite tough girls and lay well. It really depends on what you want from your girls. If eggs arent an issue just go with what you fancy. As to health issues ive had more problems with hybrids and batties (but with batties that is to be expected) but so far ive never had to take a pure breed to see a vet although Red was poorly last week but she has made a quick recovery and seems to be 100% again. Im afraid I cant offer advice on batums as I dont have experience but I do know they fly better than big girls as they are lighter.

Vaccinations - a good breeder does this from birth and as Wendy said batties are vacinated against everything and anything.

My advice work out what you want from your girls and then go and have a look round a local breeder and see his stock especially at the girls you fancy.

Have fun.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Don't forget that bantum eggs will be smaller that chicken eggs! Also silkies (I believe) can go broody quite often.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

one orpington who is gorgeous. She is the only one who has ever gone over the fence

Golly! I didnt think an Orpington with those short wings would get that far
off the ground!

This morning I loaded 6lb of stuff from the cupboard into a bag & handed it to my son so he could imagine cuddling a heavy chook. He still wants a
big chook, but now he wants a seat in the garden for when he cuddles it!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

With a big chicken there is more to cuddle. My Rhodie, Red, although compact is a hefty girl but having a cuddle is lovely as there is something to hold. I cant wait till Daisy my light Sussex pure breed starts laying coz then I will be able to pick her as she is bigger than all my hens and still only a baby and she is so sweet but so quick at running away. Once hens start laying there are far easier to pick up as they do the stoop stance and then they are easy to pick up or in Red's case they come to you for a cuddle. My other soppy girl is Goldie, the boss, and she loves a cuddle but only if no one else is looking coz she likes to keep up her appearance as being hard as nails!!
the waltons
Lively Laner

Post by the waltons »

hi i have 2 salmon faverolles, very sweet & extremely friendly.. i love their furry feet !. i also have 2 silver grey dorkings, but im waiting for eggs , had them for 14 weeks & they are 24 & 26 weeks, they are keeping us waiting..

good luck sure your girls will be lovely whatever the breed.

jo x.
2 silvergrey dorkings-Dotty& Milly. 1 Salmon Faverolle Margy.. R.I.P. Rosa our other Faverolle. 2 Warrens Wendy & shirley. 1 speckley Teddy. 1 bluebell Denise, 1 Blackstar Dudley. Oh & 7 gorgeous little children.