Photos Of Our Light Sussex Hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Poppy's Place
Learner Laner

Photos Of Our Light Sussex Hens

Post by Poppy's Place »

These are our three Light Sussex hens on the day we brought them home in April. They look so clean in this photo. Now they have spent their days rolling around in the flower beds I'm afraid they don't look quite so clean!
Here are Mabel and Bessie enjoying the evening sun in their run. Bessie is having a snooze and Mabel is keeping an eye on the neighbours.
It's very hard to get a photo of Hetty at the moment as she is so broody, if she is out she is usually pressed up against the shed door looking cross. Here is a photo of her in her usual evening postion sitting on her nest box. Although they spend a lot of the time in the garden, we have fenced off the half nearest the house to try and keep them safe we still put them back in their run quite early.
On the very evening I took the photo of Mabel and Bessie in their run I walked to the end of the garden and saw these two foxes sitting on next doors shed looking down at us despite our three dogs being out. It has made me very nervous. Jane.

http://poppysplace25.blogspot.com/

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Photos Of Our Light Sussex Hens

Post by jannie »

Lovely photos..... )t' ....
That must have been really scarey seeing foxes that close.. yike*
Sorry but got to ask.. :oops: ..Have you added something to their water to make it that colour.. +confused+
Poppy's Place
Learner Laner

Post by Poppy's Place »

Hi Jannie, Don't worry the water isn't that colour! :-D We bought some second hand feeders from a local man who was clearing his aviary. They were a bit stained despite our scrubbing with bottle brushes, but we sterilised them with Milton tablets before giving them to the birds, and the water is completely clear so I'm sure they must be alright. Oh dear. I hope they are alright! Jane
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Nice pictures - beautiful fox - but....beware !!!!

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
amberstardaisyranger
Lively Laner

Post by amberstardaisyranger »

Your hens are lovely!!!
I've had a fox that close to my chooks before and it does worry you! I locked mine in at night like fort knox lol! :?
Living the good life with my fab family and my Cube inhabiting chooks!!!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I have one of those!

How do they get their feet on that way?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52518139@N02/4894264074/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm looking forward to her growing up to be as big and healthy as yours :-D

Ours are about 20 weeks old, though the Magpie might be a few weeks older as she was laying when we got her (just) and she is a bit bigger than the other two.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/