QUESTIONS TO ASK - POORLY HENS

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
redqueensghost
Learner Laner

Re: QUESTIONS TO ASK - POORLY HENS

Post by redqueensghost »

Hi, i have two exchequer leghorns bought at the same time in early september, they settled well with the other hens but on a routine 'look over' a few nights ago i realised that one of them is skin and bone under all her feathers. Having watched her she does all the things a healthy chicken should - but eat. Obviously she is nibbling. I have even tried seperating her in the coop with food and water but she still does'nt eat. I can't help feeling she is not going to make it through the winter without more meat on her. she is poy and i have checked for internal and external parasites with all my hens - can any one help me? thnx

Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'

What do you feed them and how much/when?
A protein boost will help such as maggots/mealworms.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

*BUMPING* this up.

Just wanted to add, if your hen has respiratory problems and is either gasping for air or has mucus coming from eyes, nares or beak - it definitely needs seeing by a vet.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Bob B
Learner Laner

Post by Bob B »

Hi Bluebell very informative post,I have a poorley hen with some of the symptoms that you discribe in paragraph 2 not moveing about unusual faeces etc got the symptoms but what is the answer to a cure or what is the illness I have lost two other Hens with the same sort of thig?
bluebell wrote:Sooner or later we come across a hen which shows signs of being unwell. The nature of hens is that they may be ill for some time before showing signs, its part of their 'genetics' that they mask illness to discourage predators from picking them off.

Symptoms of having an unwell hen can range from them being hunched up, head down, eyes closed, not moving, not eating or drinking, passing unusual faeces, not laying or laying unusual eggs, etc. More serious symptoms are going to be paralysis, hen having difficulty breathing, fitting, hen having accident resulting in broken limbs, deep wounds requiring stitching, prolapsing.

If you suspect your hen is unwell you have to make your mind up if you have the experience to deal with the illness, decide if you have any ideas what the problem could be and then decide if you can resolve or if you need the services of a vet.

Trying to work out what is wrong with your hen is detective work - ask yourself is your hens digestive system working properly (hen eating and drinking, crop functioning properly, hen passing normal faeces. Next hens breathing - hen not gaping (beak open and rapid 'breathing'), comb and wattles and mucus membranes looking pink, not dark red or even blue. Has your hen got any sign of ecto or endo parasites (worms, lice, mites, fleas, ticks). Remind yourself when they last had treatment against these parasites. Does your hen have a full range of movement, able to walk, no signs of injury to legs, wings, etc. Any paralysis, discharges loss of blood.

By now you should have an idea, at least, of what the problem could be and this is the time to decide - can you treat or do you need assistance of vet.

Hope this helps someone. I'm sure I've overlooked something here, but having one of those nights where I cannot sleep and just rattling on DTL. )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

When did you last worm your hens and what with?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob B
Learner Laner

Post by Bob B »

Hi Bluebell last wormed about two weeks ago flubenvet the other three hens are ok
bluebell wrote:When did you last worm your hens and what with?
mull
Learner Laner

Post by mull »

i have just got 4 hens yesterday 1 of them is haunched up head down looking a bit sad any ideas whats up and what i could do to help her mull
manda

Post by manda »

Could be she's just feeling more stressed than the others with the move.... might be she has a soft shell in the tubes which is harder to lay...

Just keep an eye on her for now but if you are worried then a vet is the best option.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
mull
Learner Laner

Post by mull »

ill be keeping a close eye on her and keep you up to speed on her condition and maybe ill try this apple cider vinegar tonic
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I'm posting in the hope that any new members, who keep hens, will read this (if they haven't already).

junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

Thank you for the post Bluebell. I found it really helpful :-D .
chickylicky
Learner Laner

Post by chickylicky »

hi there
I have a chicken who i'm not sure if she's poorly or broody. she seems to have separated herself from the others. she's very affectionate and happy to be handled but her crop is pale and floppy. she's eating and drinking less than usual and spending lots of time inside on the perch. the others aren't pecking her but it's like she's depressed. ive checked her and can't find any obvious problems. any ideas what might be going on?
thanks
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

It doesn't sound as if she's broody, sounds as if she's sick. How old is she? And how long has she been doing this for?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sapphire
Learner Laner

Post by sapphire »

Hi have read your very helpful article I have a question one of my new girls who has just started laying & who is normally happy and healthy has over the last day or two started to withdraw from the other's. She sits in the corner head down eyes closed, although if I put food into the coop she does get up & eat, She is eating & drinking, she is also laying although not today, I put health tonic powder on there food & red mite treatment in there water once a week, she is showing no signs of red mite infestation, can u suggest what else I can do,
perchy

Post by perchy »

Manda can you help with this at all???????