We are moving!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LittleBrownFrog

Re: We are moving!

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Lots of good moving advice - thank you :-D

Nefertari
Longlasting Laner

Post by Nefertari »

congratulations on the move from me too >gl<

I am moving house this coming Friday. As i type this I am looking at mountains of boxes, most of them full and labelled ready to go.

I too am moving about a mile away. The house I am moving to is empty but I'm still using a removals firm. They are providing 3 men and lorry of course. I couldn't possibly do the move on my own ( have a 25 yr old son who doesn't drive) I wouldn't be able to drive a lorry big enough to fit a 3 bed semi + double garage worth of stuff, plus there's the timing to consider.

The house has to be emptied by lunchtime when completion tends to go through. When I moved here 1 year ago, they were still loading up the lorry when the call came through to say completion had happened yike*

I've not got loads of stuff either, just 3 beds and 2 chests of drawers per bedroom (built in wardrobes) 1 sofa a bookcase and dining room table and unit down stairs. the kitchen here is all built in so am only taking my freezer and washing machine from the utility room. All the boxes are contents of cupboards really.

I've got a fair bit of gardening stuff from when I had the lottie - in my last town.

I don't know what area you are in, but I'm paying £550 to the removal firm. I've got all my own boxes (from the move last year). I think most of the cost is the labour really. They are arriving here at 8.30 Friday morning and if like last year, will be unpacked the other end by about 3.30.
It'll be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end.
Nefertari
Longlasting Laner

Post by Nefertari »

Sorry, I should have added that my buyers are moving in here on completion too so no time to waste for me!
It'll be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end.
LittleBrownFrog

Thanks Nefertari )t' I've put some info into an online quote thingy - that price isn't too bad really.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Ooo How exciting!

We have moved several times now, and have always done it ourselves with a borrowed transit van and a trailer and we do have a lot of stuff! :oops:
On our last move we moved everything in one day, i went down to the new house (my late parents house, about a mile down the road) with the car, loaded with everything breakable or valuable like my jewellery, mum and dads ashes and mirrors and the tea and coffee. I also had a 2 year old a cat and 3 dogs (we had a dog on holiday with us during the move)....... I moved the chickens and rabbit to thier new homes the night before. )t'
We had carpets fitted upstairs on moving day, as we were moving stuff in downstairs they were fitting carpets upstairs. :shock:
I think we were done by just after lunch...... There was about 8 people helping us.
The only thing i had trouble with was packing the house up ...... it seemed to take forever and the day before moving there were still cupboards and the garden shed that werent packed :?

As for your chooks, Have you thought about a shed for them? It may work out cheaper than a purpouse built coop or ark and has the added advantage of lots of head hieght for cleaning. )t'
Good luck!!!!
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Sproutmuncher
Learner Laner

Post by Sproutmuncher »

We have never moved with chickens as we are newbies, but have moved countless times. Until the last time, we DIY'd but the last time my mum wanted to relieve some of the stress and kindly paid the £400 for a removal firm to move us less than a mile. They were so quick to clear out the house into two mid-sized lorries :oops: , we couldn't clean up after them fast enough lol. We were exchanging with another family and they also used a firm, albeit a sloooow one so ours ended up helping them to hurry them up. They then put all the beds together whilst we got the kettle on and cleaned up. We will never DIY it ever again!

Mrs Sproutmuncher
LittleBrownFrog

ooh... removal firms sound like the way to go then. I don't know why, but I'd always imagined that it would be really expensive. Will get in touch with a few local companies tomorrow and find out.

My sister in law moved two days before Christmas with a toddler and a week-old baby ... they diy-ed, and when I asked earlier if they'd do it again she said "Matt says 'removal firm all the way' - I say 'diy-ing' ... but then I did only have to pack the baby and the changing bag..." lol
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Nothing to add apart from our wishes for an easy removal day, however its done and may you , hubby , kids and chooks have a very happy life in your new home.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LittleBrownFrog

Aww -thanks Annie x
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Good luck for the day and in your new home )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
LittleBrownFrog

Here we go again ...
The last house fell through, as I might have mentioned once or twenty times.

We've just offered on another property - waiting for the agent to ring back to let us know whether the offer has been accepted. If it is accepted, we then have to wait to see if the council will approve a return to residential status (it's currently a commercial property, having been used as a nursing home).
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

>fi< >fi< >fi< >fi< >fi< For you and your offer!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Hope your lucky LBF that place looks lovely >fi<
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have done the DIY moving, and also had the experts to do the job. But we always get landed to move our offspring, who never seem organised, and packed and cleaned, in readiness for the big load to go to the new house.

When we ourselves moved to our retirement home, our moving day coincided with my aunt's funeral. OH and I got up early, admitted the removal men (we had spent weeks shipping stuff to new home seventy miles away ourselves), and after a final clean through, I changed into funeral gear, got into our car, and OH dropped me off at the church where the funeral was to take place.

OH was responsible to transport our three dogs and two budgies to their new residence by car.

After the funeral tea, one of my sons picked me up, and brought me here, and all the furniture was in place!

We have a walk in run, not very big, but adequate for our three girls. With back problems, we didn't cherish the idea of crawling around on our hands and knees, and like today is, in the mud!

Good luck with your new home and that of your hens.
Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

madmum wrote: >fi< >fi< >fi< For you and your offer!!!!

Maggie1 wrote:Hope your lucky LBF that place looks lovely >fi<

Echo the above - saw the picture you posted of your new potential home and it looks fantastic. Everything crossed that your offer is accepted and you, family & chooks are moved in by Autumn. )t'
Jo x
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee