Dirty stop outs!!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
madmum
Legendary Laner

Dirty stop outs!!!

Post by madmum »

Hubbs was sitting out in the garden last night and he did a quick check on the girls before coming to bed.He came up chuckling and said did i know that 3 of my 8 batties had taken to roosting on a raised platform in the run? I had to go down and have a check and sure enough tucked up and as snug as bugs in a rug were Mrs Speckledy and two others i couldnt make out in the gloom.Bless them they have only just started doing this but tonight im going to have to stay up and watch to see why.The other 9 birds all head into the coop as usual so i dont think its mite(?) Maybe they just like the freedom to choose....... )c(
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!

ChrisG

Re: Dirty stop outs!!!

Post by ChrisG »

That's girls for you - like to let you know they have minds of their own.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Awww bless um. They're so ace aren't they MM :-D {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

My 3 have been doing this every night for a couple of weeks now. So far every night I have been trooping out there with my headlight and getting them into bed!

Maybe I should leave them up there?
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I suppose that depends how fox proof the run is .I will leave mine out 'cos i dont shut them in at night.So far we have no fox threat so >fi<
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Two of ours, the Exchequer Leghorns, love to roost about 15' up a tree on fine nights.
Even if a fox got past the electric netting there are no branches for a good 5' and the branches are then tightly packed near the trunk which I think would foil the fox.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

As far as I know we are fox proofed.
No foxes about that we've seen to put it to the test ! :)
We're out in the sticks a bit lol so hopefully foxy is off after easier prey :)

I do feel mean putting them away when they obviously want to stay put, but do go in with reluctance and a bit of mumbling. :D
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

There is no way I could go to bed leaving my girls out. No matter how fox-proof the run is or you think there aren't foxes around, the stress caused to hens if a fox does appear and tries to get in is huge.