Getting our hens next in a week.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Getting our hens next in a week.

Post by Spreckly »

We are excited, next Sunday, a week tomorrow, we fetch our four hens. Three were asked for but my friend thinks four would be better, in case we lose one...

Names are all beginning with L, starting with Lily.

This morning we bought hen food, mite and lice powder, and gentian spray from our nearby farm supplies.

Home for the girls has been waiting for a couple of months. The nest boxes are in, perches up, and we got a very brightly coloured feeder from ebay. Brighter than we expected, but it will no doubt fade. We have built a shelter in the run for shade for them, when it is hot. The hut is 4 x 4', cut down from a 6 x 4' shed, and they have a high fence down one side of the run.

We plan to let them out whilst we are around, as we have a large garden, with a veg patch at the bottom.

I am amazed at how many folk have hens in our tiny village, and as I go on my Avon round, some of my customers elsewhere have a run tucked away. Everyone gives us advice, so we will have to make a good job of poultry keeping.

perchy

Re: Getting our hens next in a week.

Post by perchy »

Ooh it is so eggciting waiting for the chickens to arrive, keep us posted and we like pictures too )t' Our water drinker was lime green, it has been out two years and is still lime green :?
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Know exactly as you feel...Best of luck.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Sorry that should of read "exactly HOW you feel" (slap from my mum!)
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oooooooo very exciting!
The week before I got my ex-batts I just could not wait!
Have fun getting them, I know you will :-D
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Good luck. Hens are fun to have in back garden. and it is so exciting to get you first eggs )t'

It has been a bit wet for the poor things today. You soon learn that hens don't have a lot of what we humans would call common sense. Two of mine sheltered under part of the run that is covered, the others for some unknown reason still choose to stay out in the rain until they looked, well, like very wet hens.
Michael
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)t'

You mentioned the coop - how big is the run?
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

Very exciting times, this time last year I was in the same position as you. 18th July was collection day, I ended up getting 8 girls.
You sound very organized. Do housework the day before coz it won't get done after your girls arrive.....you will spend hours just watching and enjoying them.
Enjoy and good luck )t'
Jane x
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your encouragement. My husband is raising the height of the run and gate this morning, and also putting more air holes in the hen hut.

The run is about five feet wide and fifteen feet long, with a shelter at the end opposite the shed. They will also be let out on our large lawn, but my husband is concerned about his veggie bed!

I have read somewhere about putting broken egg shells in the run for hardening the shells. They normally go into our compost heaps.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

If dry/slightly baked- crushed up eggshell is good to give 'em. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh it's very eggciting and you sound like everything is very well organised. Our hen house (eglu), shade and feeders are bright pink... or they were at least, they've faded a bit now :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We have measured the run again, and it is nineteen feet long. Have just bought some pea netting off ebay to go over the top of the run.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

)t' >gl<
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.