Muddy run

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Muddy run

Post by Spreckly »

We knew that we were going to get heavy rain, but last night's was torrential, and this morning the run is like a fold yard. We had talked about covering it over during the winter, and decided to make enquiries today about plastic corrugated sheeting.

We got the shock of our lives £30 including VAT, and we would need several pieces. I went on fleabay, and the prices were much lower, but the sheets were not very thick, would not withstand our east coast wind and gales.

Poor little girls, wandering round in the mud. It did not stop them charging after some sphagetti this afternoon.

We have seen runs which are all gravel, but wanted our hens to have as natural a ground as possible underfoot.

Apart from wood chippings, which OH thinks will just tread into the mud, has anyone any advice, please?

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Muddy run

Post by Annie »

Try a good layer of sand to assist with drainage, we use woodchip ,its one less expense as we get it free from a local tree surgeon. If its a good deep layer it will last quite well, the chooks enjoy digging about in it.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
annen1
Lively Laner

Post by annen1 »

We used wood chip last winter which stopped everything being so slippery for us to walk on. Chickens liked it too. We are now looking to either top up or replace and still trying to decide on wood chip or horse bedding.
1 hubby, 2 grown up kids, 2 rescue dogs, 7 chickens (Goldline, White Sussex, Bluebell, Marans and 2 ex batts), 1 cockatiel, tropical and pond fish.

RIP Blondie (ex batt May 2011-May 2012)
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Sharp sand
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

My run is earth and woodchip !!!I have never had a problem with it treading into the earth as long as you use a deep covering )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Lots and lots of sharp sand is what has worked for us. A couple of bags disappeared into the ground within a few days, so we chucked more down until it stopped disappearing - it's solved the problem pretty much, although we'll have to top it up this winter if we're still here.
susiewong50
Lively Laner

Post by susiewong50 »

Sharp sand )t'
sue x
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your advice. Our local log place wants two pounds a bag for wood chip!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Phone round your local tree surgeons - they often have to pay to dispose of their chippings so may be quite happy to deliver a load to you )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
maz24
Longlasting Laner

Post by maz24 »

I also say Sharp Sand
Jinxyjuja
Lively Laner

Post by Jinxyjuja »

Me too - sharp sand raked right through, sand again when that has sunk in and when you have got it drier loads of stinky wood chippings - we just have to top our chippings up about avery 4 - 5 months...

Believe it or not we have also trated ours to a bit of cheap turf we managed to pick up (thin we only paid £1 a roll - thus giving them the luxury of some fresh grass in a section of the run ...

Spoilt little madams !!!

Jo x
Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Post by Sheila D »

Call your local country park or stately home. They sometimes have a large surplus of chipped bark and let you go and bag it up yourselves. Its usually full of worms which the hens love. Put up a strong plastic corrugated roof, but remember to screw the sheets together and fix firmly to a strong wooden frame so it won't blow off in a storm. Put down a deep layer of sharp sand, then a thick layer of the bark chippings, put some large logs around and screw some bent branches onto the logs for stability - they make lovely perches.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to keep the concrete slab path that leads from the coop clean. When it rains, no matter how much poo picking I have done, its always swimming in mud, poop and water. Not a pretty sight. I'll have to figure out some clever way to improve drainage but not sure how.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Bark chippings aren't too good for chucks - due to spores that can infect their chests.....
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We should have got the run wood chipped yesterday, when it had dried up, but couldn't get the goods until this morning, when after torrential rain (again), it is a mud bath, and puddled everywhere.

Got the corrugated sheets today - over eighty pounds, gulp, and OH is building a stout frame to fix them to. He is a joiner by trade, very handy!

So the girls are wading in mud, pecking at his wellies, and being entertained. They have laid two eggs this morning (I am getting between two and three eggs per day now), and seem very happy.

We have a pile of paving slabs courtesy of freecycle to lay inside the run near the gate when it stops raining and the ground starts to dry up.

Again thank you all for your advice.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Got the run sorted by 8am, after an early start. The ground was drying up, and half the run is now roofed over with corrugated plastic sheeting. We have put more paving slabs down at the other end, and put a thick layer of wood chippings on the rest of the area.

The girls are having a ball, flinging the wood chips everywhere!