Hens and Wierd Food

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Steve the Gas

Hens and Wierd Food

Post by Steve the Gas »

Last night my neighbour, as she does, threw her unwanted fruit and veg over. It's staggering the amount she chucks over and I have retreived some for me before now.
Anyhoo, I'm not a fan of kiwi fruit, I seem to think they are expensive... am I right? So over comes the grub, cba to scavenge and left 'em to it. Had to do summat and noticed a kiwi not being touched ?? - they were scared or didn't wanna know, so I stood on it and it went rapid.

I counted the kiwi - there were ......8 :shock:

& were were still there tonight, so pierced - then eaten- but only if I started 'em off, 7 times. }hairout{

silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Hens and Wierd Food

Post by silverback »

So in other words they wanted you to prepare their food before they ate it!,
butler style!!... :shock:
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
korgscrew
Lively Laner

Post by korgscrew »

We have to do this with runner beans! Take the beans out for em!! Or they will eat them boiled still in the skin. Also they don't like corn on the cob, they only like corn off the cob!!
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Those kiwi have hairy, bitter skins. Maybe that's it?
Organised Chaos
Lively Laner

Post by Organised Chaos »

Mine are the same with most skinned fruit, they love apples, damsons, plums etc but won't touch them until I break them open for them.... Perhaps it's just too much like hard work for a pampered chook?

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by idiots."
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

gotta love that! )t'
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
fuglysuck
Lively Laner

Post by fuglysuck »

Drop a single grape in.... the most histerical chase will ensue.
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Post by Don Roberto »

My girls will only eat stuff it is chopped up small, anything bigger than julienne and they turn their beaks up at it. Over ripe peaches and nectarines are the exception, it is funny watching a little Warren staggering with a full sized nectarine in her beak only to be bushwhacked by 2 others larger hens. My 4 girls can eat a peach quicker than I can.
Cheers me dears.....
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.
tiameg
Lively Laner

Post by tiameg »

I had an odd food thing with mine today. Gave them some fresh Blackberries in the run, went back 2 hrs later - the ladies had not touched them. So went into to pick them up and remove them...hey presto, once in the palm of my hand they became the most delicious food on earth & a fight broke out to get to them!
I love egg. In fact sometimes I think I'm going to turn into a big giant egg. - Fr Dougal McGuire
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

{rofwl} {rofwl} what pampered chookies we all have hey >ch< >eas1< {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Massey35
Lively Laner

Post by Massey35 »

Ah kiwi fruits....they are, along with grapes Glady's favourite. Yes, I must admit I skin the hairy little suckers first and then I chop them into 4. It is like preparing a fruit salad!! I cut peaches etc in half and put them in run open side up cos thats how the girls like it :? and I cut tomatoes but grapes go in whole you'll be pleased to know :-D )t'
I've been laid up this week and my OH gave them their fruit once this week. He was gone ages......... +confused+ only to return to tell me that Glady's had managed to get all the grapes to herself and Flo was chasing Primrose for a piece of tomato. Just a normal day really....
One English Springer Spaniel - Lily. Four Ex Bats - Flo, Primrose, Gladys and Beryl. One 1959 Massey Ferguson FE35 tractor - Daisy. One husband - Steve!
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Post by Don Roberto »

I have only two questions, are we all slaves to our girls fads wants and needs ?. I know that Donna M and I are. Question two, is there any hope for us ? +confused+ Cheers me dears.......
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.
maggie1946
Longlasting Laner

Post by maggie1946 »

Don, Yes and No simples.. Maggie...
Hoping that Sunny Clucker is coming to Leicestershire
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

I had to cut kiwis in half before mine would eat them. The first time I put half a melon in their run they all stood cowering in the corner terrified of this strange thing until the boss - Goldie - went and bravely gave it a peck and then found she loved it. Blackberries mine wont touch unless they are in left over blackberry crumble!
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

My hens are just naughty old lushes. They will only eat apples that have fallen of the tree and half fermented. I'm sure Phoebe gets a bit tipsy. Is there an Alcoholics anonymous for chickens? )t(
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.