No Eggs Yet

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

No Eggs Yet

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Black Rocks are now about 23 weeks old and no eggs yet. When I fed them tonight one of them squat down in front of me, obviously wanting the cockbird. Does this mean an egg is getting close to been laid. Hope so.
Phil

)chu: )chu:

Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

We noticed our younger warren started doing that a few days before she started laying... mind you, we found our black rock to be far less 'focussed'... she really took her time getting round to laying!
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

No Eggs Yet

Post by AnnaB »

Phil Black Rock
I think the 'squat position' the hen takes is submission...you are in charge and respected.
If you watch them when they are together most will be subservient to the top hen.
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Thanks for the responses, I am getting desperate now to see an egg, probably clutching at any straw I can find that will hurry them up so to speak.........
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

A bit of garlic is supposed to help, but I haven't a clue of the amount.

The squatting is as Anna says. Often happens when they can't get away and think you're picking them up. Occasionally they will do it seemingly to want to be picked up!

I've seen one do it when a fox approached, it's kind of 'frozen'.

I've waited that long before now, it'll be a little one though - just half a toast with it!
Then - just watch them go )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Well it was worth the wait, we are now getting up to four eggs per day, and all laid in the nestbox, pretty good going as the chooks have free range around the garden. The eggs are on the small side, but eggspect [pun] they will increase in size as the birds get a little older. We have even had a couple of double yolkers which were larger than the standard egg.

The Black Rocks will now take food from my hand and will allow a small ammount of stroking, they are indeed becoming a part of the family.

All six have different personalities, I am quite glad that I put rings on them now. It is a great help in distinguishing between them as their antics border on the hysterical at times.

Just a question in passing, they can shelter out of the rain if they wish, but appear to love wandering around in even heavy downpours, is this what all chooks do, I assumed they would run for cover.
Sarah S
Learner Laner

Post by Sarah S »

Ours like walking about in downpours as well. I did draw the line during last week's torrential rain and rounded them up to sit under cover with which they were less than impressed. I had to do something - I could see bare skin through their bedraggled feathers.

Incidentally I must have looked a picture when I went to round them up: rather than get yet another pair of trousers drenched right through, I chased round the garden in my wellies, knickers and raincoat... mad chicken lady...
wendy

Post by wendy »

yep....mine get drown daily also.
Glad to see you are like the rest of us Sarah. I have gone out dressed up in an evening dress and wellies on occassion. Or dressed down like you.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

*holds hand high in the air*

me too :? :oops:

kat xx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Dressing-gown and wellies most mornings.

I've got an open ended arc (well, it's got ends at the moment, while the proper one stops smelling of creoste) and they do shelter under that more readily than going into a dark arc, but only if it's pelting, or they really need shade.
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Mine won't take shelter at all, even in high wind and rain.

I've read that alot of other people have commented same, but it is a worry when pelting rain and wind seem to keep them "locked" into one corner.

The other day I put them all in the coup about 3hrs before their usual bed time - couldn't stand seeing them clustered in a corner, heads down and drowned.

Should we just let them work it out ??

Note: My girls can see my blue dressing gown from a mile away!

cheers
Jodi
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

At the moment mine stand or sit near the net and watch us have tea, ("she'll give us our supper soon!") if I step over the net near the back door the grass is clean, further along , where they can see me, I'd have to watch where I trod.
wibble5
Learner Laner

Post by wibble5 »

I find that the garden hose gets them running for cover :wink: Don't worry, I don't spray them with it!! Just a quick blast nearby and they think it's raining and they scoot into their house. Doesn't last long, though - when they realise it's not actually raining and it's me messing around, they're out like a shot! Just lately, though, in this really bad weather, they have attempted to go out in the rain and got a bit wet, so I usher them back inside to dry out. I think it's because they're bored with being in a shed all day. And I still haven't plucked up the courage to pick them up, they really don't like being touched and flap away at the very hint of a stroke or a cuddle. They'll take my food out of my hand, but they won't take my love!! (Just like teenagers, really...)
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

wibble5,
Just keep feeding from your hand, it will not be long before your girls get used to you and will trust you enough to give them a little stroke, mine were the same. Indeed one of mine is still wary, but I will persevere and get her confidence in time.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

YEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!!! :mrgreen: )t' We have lift off!! Our very first egg - about half size but perfect in every other way (cant have it all can we).. well we are chuffed, 18 weeks on the dot! That is if the chap we bought them from was correct in aging them.. Eeee bah gum and all that, I cant stop grinning!
Photo has of course already been added to our album incase anyone would like to have a look at what one of our incredibly clever chooks has produced! )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein