Walk In Run - what do you do for a base?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Walk In Run - what do you do for a base?

Post by Benny&Co »

I've been putting it in the run and their eglu as well )t'

Don't even need to rake it out as the girls thoroughly enjoy spraying it everywhere for me! {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Hey guess what folks - Hubbly has just said he was thinking of getting me my Walk-in-Run for my birthday :-D :-D :-D I'm a very happy Wiffy! :-D :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

My Walk-in-Run is covered and the floor is just the dirt ..But I had a great tip from some one.I gathered up all the leaves off the garden (we have a wood at the bottom of our garden) and kept them in sacks .I rake the floor over about once a month and then put sanatising powder over it.Cover it with loads of leaves and they think it is great because there is always extra bugs to grab and it keeps them amused.. The leaves in the end biodegrade down...Happy chicks )app(
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
thewife
Lively Laner

Post by thewife »

hi there, ive have a Walk-in-Run which is covered and has a paved floor, i think its great....no mud, i put straw on the paving and i have a large underbed box which i put sand in for them to scratch about in. i sweep it out once a week and hose it down once a month and so far ive had no problems, i change the sand perhaps every 2month, .i use a chopped hay with citronnella in the coupe . hope this helps )t'
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Mine is on slabs, has a wibbly plastic roof and is in a sheltered spot, I just get 2 corners where the rain gets in, a shade would keep the rain out but is by the perches and the girls like to sit there and look at the view so I leave it be.

If you have your omlet shades I found they are great wind and rain breaks and they were in the sale last time I looked.

I use hemcore as a floor covering and have 2 dust baths in there
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

What a lovely hubbly!!!!!How long do you have to wait till your walk in run day?
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks everyone )t' :-D

I'll have to contact the nice Walk-in-Run man to see when he can come and build it I guess :-D
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I've got a question folks :-D

So far (touch wood) we've not had any red mites whatsoever. I'm wondering, those of you with plastic coops and wooden runs - any problems there?

I'm sure I had another one as well, but it's slipped my mind for now :-D
Bev x

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I'm pretty sure this question has come up before & that the answer is that red mite live in the coop rather than in the run, so it shouldn't be a problem.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Our Walk-in-Run is built on oak sleepers and the whole of the inside is slabbed and then covered with a layer of rapport, which is similar to aubiose. We do have a roof, but it needs replacing already as we have got a few leaks.

At one time we had thought about lifting some of the slabs right in the centre of the Walk-in-Run for the girls to have a dustbath. How glad I am we didn't as when OH was doing his regular "rat check" he noticed something had been digging around the outside of the run. On further examination he took up some of the slabs inside the run and a rat had been tunnelling right underneath and had been looking for a gap to get into the run yike*
Lyn

Post by Mrs B »

Are you having a local man to build your run Benny?
crm
Learner Laner

Post by crm »

I put down a concrete base for my covered Walk-in-Run.

What I didn't take into consideration was the horizontal rain we've been having, so the woodchip gets wet. It's not slippy though, as the concrete has a rough surface to it. Easy to hose out once the woodchip needs replacing.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks everyone as always )t' :-D

I'm hoping to get Aviaries4U to come and build for us MrsB :-D

We've got a nice local chappy who I think will do us the concrete base as well :-D
Bev x

Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

crm wrote:I put down a concrete base for my covered Walk-in-Run.

What I didn't take into consideration was the horizontal rain we've been having, so the woodchip gets wet. It's not slippy though, as the concrete has a rough surface to it. Easy to hose out once the woodchip needs replacing.

A lot of people buy those clear tarps and fix them onto the run. We have some all along the back of our Walk-in-Run, so that's a total of 24ft. They have those holes down the sides and we have put cup hooks into the wood and attached them onto those. We then put some heavy rocks on the bottom to stop the wind lifting them and they seem to work very well. We did buy more to put on the sides and kept them rolled up, then tied them up with bungee clips. However we didn't really use them much so took them down.
Lyn

Post by Mrs B »

OOh my run is from aviaries as well, pity you are not closer you could have had a good nosey at it.

Bite the bullet and get him to put the plastic roof on it as well, I dithered about the extra cost so didn't get it then got Mr Beer and BIL to do it and I think Lewis would have made a much tidier job of it. I would also advise getting the corner perches and a storage shelf, my girls love the perches and I do regret not having a shelf.