Injured hen - HELP!!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mad Chick

Injured hen - HELP!!!

Post by Mad Chick »

I've been at a neighbours for a couple of hours and when I came back I went to shut the chooks up as it was dark. As I walked into the run I saw feathers everywhere - hundreds of them. Panicking, I took the lid off the coop so i could do a head count, all there but noticed Betty had a couple of loose feathers on her back. I brought her indoors to examine her closer and saw she has loads of feathers missing from her chest and then saw the wound. It's not bleeding but it does look raw (as it's dark I can't see clearly if there is any blood in the run). i have brought her indoors, bathed it in mild antiseptic and sprayed her with purple spray. She is very quiet, tail down but then it is night time and I woke her up so she would be...

I've got her in a cat basket for now, the vet is now shut (not sure if she needs a stitch...). What should I do??? Keep her in the basket for the night and take to the vet in the morning? Put her back in with the others for the night? Does she need a vet, will he do anything if it's already stopped bleeding?

photo of wound

Oh god, I've never had an injured chook before and i've gone into panic mode
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway

Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Re: Injured hen - HELP!!!

Post by Kaeta44 »

First of all, very sorry the chicken and you have to go through all this.

If it was me, I'd keep her quietly in the catbox until morning, then get her to the vet asap, as that looks like a deep wound.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
perchy

Post by perchy »

Me too Lucy, keep her indoors, you have cleaned it, how open is it? has she caught herself on something? you won't know that until the morning, if the bleeding has stopped, I would think that was a good sign, keep an eye on her and see how she is in the morning and then arrange for a vet visit.

Don't panic, it is exactly what I did when one of my girls was poorly, was beside myself, sending you a {hug&kiss} {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ditto.
She may need some anti biotics.
As said have a good look to see what it was that caused this, poor little thing.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

{hug} I'd say the same - quiet night in the house & ring the vet in the morning. Hope she's better soon x
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've been out to the run with a huge torch and looked carefully all around. As far as i can tell, there is no blood on the ground or in the coop so that is a good sign. what i did notice were a lot of the feathers on the ground belonged to Boo, not Betty. I've brought Boo indoors for a check over but can't see anything amiss, possibly a few feathers missing from low down below her crop but she looks more ruffled than bare if you know what i mean. I also can't see anything that she would have caught herself on to cause an injury. Maybe they were fighting and Betty came off worse but they've always got on so well together, if anything I'd say the older two had a go at both of them for some reason.

I KNOW what chickens can be like to each other, i've read it on here a thousand times but I never thought mine would be that nasty to each other.

Can't stop crying {cry}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww Lucy, it is horrid, have been there, they really can be horrid, tomorrow when it is light have a good look round you may have missed something tonight as it is dark, and you are upset, re-assess in the morning and deal with Betty first, and then observe to see if anything is going on {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Aww, poor little thing, that does look horrid.

Try not to get too upset Lucy - it may have just been an accident. Is your run covered? {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Lucy, so sorry for you and your poorly chook, I'd be crying too! Sounds like you've done all the right things for tonight. Fingers crossed at the vets tomorrow, will be thinking of you.
Sending you and Betty a big {hug} and {hug&kiss} , Ellie x
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I find it hard to believe that another chicken has caused a wound like that. Looks like a tear to me.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Chillax, is the wound in the chest area? Hard to tell...
Don't think a bird did that though.

Do you have any steri- strips? If so try and find the skin flaps and attach as best you can. The night may be enuff time for healing to start before she pecks the strips off in the morn, spray with purple too. )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Lucy it seems that you have done everything possible for this evening, if Betty is kept quiet and warm and given time to recover her strength a bit ,then I am sure the visit to the vet will put her right.
Bit concerned about you though, you sound pretty stressed, accept you have done the most you can for now and try to relax, bubble bath and a glass of something soothing might be the order of the day {hug}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Karhog
Longlasting Laner

Post by Karhog »

I agree with Annie-I also go into panic mode if my chooks seem unwell but you have done all you can for tonight. Reckon she made need A/B to fend off any poss infection ....but for now its clean and no longer bleeding- as long as she is calm and warm - get yourself a glass of wine and say 'phew!' Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted {hug}
poncharetta
Lively Laner

Post by poncharetta »

Oh MadChick {hug} . She's in good hands with you, agree with the others, you've done what you can so try and take the pressure off. Good luck for tomorrow, hope it's a better day for you and your sweet bird x
What good is freedom if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes - by someone famous
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Thinking of you both, take care {hug}