Hello!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
crm
Learner Laner

Hello!

Post by crm »

Hi,

I've been reading these forums for ages, have had 3 chickens for just over a year now - so after needing to ask a question I decided to sign up and post :)

I've 3 hybrids, a "French" Black Rock (i.e. cheapo copy!), Magpie, and LS who is pretty much constantly bloomin' broody. Thinking of possibly hatching from her next year depending on a few factors.

These 3 we have now are for eggs, but I am keen to raise some for meat [hence the hatching], which probably isn't to everyone's taste but I believe if you eat meat you should be prepared to raise/prepare it. I also like the idea of knowing what actually has gone into the meat, and how well the animal has lived (despite whatever the label says, I'd actually like to know :)). I grow fruit and veg too, both at home and on my allotment, have two little ones who help out (well, the older one does - the litter-little one is only 5 months old!) with the chickens & plot!

manda

Re: Hello!

Post by manda »

Hi crm and welcome to the Lane...so is the question about breeds for meat birds / dual purpose breeds?

Don't worry I get the rearing your own animals for food if you can ...we do.....

Anyhoo if you could clarify what was it you want to know exactly )t' :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
crm
Learner Laner

Post by crm »

Oh, no sorry was just introducing myself :oops:

I'd asked the question already (which was about a digital timer for the auto opening door - the thread I'd recently bumped up :)).

So now you know me, here's a picture of my Walk-in-Run:

On a thick concrete base due to the urban foxes we have around here.. my chickens are only locked up in the run over night or if we're away/out.. the rest of the time they have a garden to themselves (we've a side garden that's separate to the main garden - was a bit sick of all the poo in the back garden and my daughter treading in it all!), which used to have a load of soft fruit (before the chickens decided to munch the lot) and a greenhouse, which is still there and has to be fortified to keep them out!

I'll be running a dedicated power supply to that garden, as well as a water supply too.

Coop wise:

Built out of shuttering ply, for around £35 I think - but shall be re-doing this later on in the year I think (shall add another nestbox, and drop it down slightly I think!). As my Walk-in-Run is up against a fence, the rain seems to get in it between the fence and the roof, and the lack of circulation there is causing a bit of mould on the back of the coop so that needs to be sorted out before it becomes a problem internally to the coop!!

aaand the ladies last winter:
manda

Post by manda »

{rofwl} {rofwl} sorry my fault )grin2(

Looks a lovely place for your chooks....look forward to having a natter with ya :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Welcome to the Lane )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
garethj
Learner Laner

Post by garethj »

Welcome along the Walk-in-Run looks great )t'
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Welcome from me too )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)wav( welcome from me too, lovely chooks )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Lovely pictures! )t'
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Hello and welcome )wav(
Julie x
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Yikes!!!!Welcome :-D and well done for reminding us of how fortunate we have been so far this winter!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!