shopping list basics

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Nice place!

But be warned, I started off with something that size and had moved to a 12x12 stable within two years, plus a run of over 400 square yards!
If you don't have the garden space, I bet you'll start looking at new houses in the local paper ....

I'm convinced hens are the new drug of choice for those of us with taste )t'
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)

tiddles1
Lively Laner

Re: shopping list basics

Post by tiddles1 »

hiya we have the same coop and not had any probs as yet had it since july, we found the space not really big enuf so got son in law to built me a Walk-in-Run i still have to go down when theyve gone to bed and make sure they are locked away, and yes we have a bit of wire to fasten the nest box down, i have paving slabs but they have covered with mud and wood chippings OH has to shuvel em off now and then but my 3 girls fit in the middle bit at night with no trouble they tend to cuddle up ahhhh lol {hug} )t'
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Hushhhhhhhhh Hazel! you will be frightening the life out of Grey! yike* {rofwl}
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Tiddles, ooh am glad you are happy with yours too! originally I had wanted four girls, but whilst the specs said 4, I would say it would be dreadfully cramped, Toasty cosy for three though )t'
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I have the same coop too. The run part was nowhere near big enough so a large portion of the garden has been made into a Walk-in-Run and the coop has been popped inside there. The inside bit is fine for my 4 as 2 of them sleep in a nesting box each & the other 2 use the perch. Hoping to replace it with something bigger at some point so I can add to my gang but it has served us very well indeed so far. Loving the colour of yours - purple is my favourite colour!

I'm smiling as I type this as I remember how giddy I was before I got my chooks and it's really nice to see others counting down the minutes too! >gl< )c(

No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Looks fab )t' we also have the same one and have built a Walk-in-Run around it. I guarantee you'll love your girls and will spend hours just watching (and if you're like me) chatting to them.
Do you know which breeds you're going for? We have 2 ex batts and 2 hybrids (a bluebell and a blacktail) and they're all got such lovely natures and colours.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
RAM
Lively Laner

Re:

Post by RAM »

HazellB wrote:Nice place!

But be warned, I started off with something that size and had moved to a 12x12 stable within two years, plus a run of over 400 square yards!
If you don't have the garden space, I bet you'll start looking at new houses in the local paper ....

I'm convinced hens are the new drug of choice for those of us with taste )t'

so true! {rofwl}
Proud owner of Guinness, La Bon Bon, Lady GaGa, Bubbles, Biscuit (the girls), Henry (who masqueraded as a girl!), 3 dogs, 1 tortoise, 2 fish, 1 princess alexandra parrott, 3 teenagers and an other half!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What a lovely looking home , you'll soon get chickenitus {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Miss Ellie, We're getting a bluebell, a cuckoo and a light sussex, they are all so beautiful! However the chap mentioned he had blacktails and white tails, I haven't looked at those! crikey....hope I don't fall in love with them as well! >eas1< >eas1< >eas1< + >eas1<
ohhhh Greeeeeeeeyyyyyyy!! +f+
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

What a lovely mix, I reckon you and Grey will be building that extension a lot sooner than you'd planned.... Us chicken keepers can't help ourselves, they're soooo addictive! chickenitis is very contagious. )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

looking good :-D
Dave the springer, 2 cats, Boo, Gizmo. 3 ex batts Mopsy, Thelma & louise. bluebell Matha,buff orp Gertie,rode island Kentucy, cream legbear Lola,
oh and the 2 teenagers !!!!!!!

R I P flopsy, miss our cuddles xx
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Hi mimsy- grey, yes I can see from your picture now wooden finger grips. I had forgotten that. The original screws were not long enough and handles got wobbly so we replaced with plastic handles.
Give the bolts a WD 40 or Vaseline. The screws were also very short holding the ladder inplace . Its loose now but we decided not to have it fixed permanently as that makes cleaning difficult. It does occasionally drop down (probably with a girlie on it) yike*
I was glad the nestbox base is fixed as foxes can and do push them up.
We do drop a taupaulin ( Value one cut in half) down overnight as rain will soak anything in base of coop. If you were to have any rats around - have a look at the side of the nest boxes. There was a small gap at the top so I tacked some chicken wire to fill that, bent over double to make it rigid and not scratch your wrists, that allows air to still get in.
Other that that we are still pleased with it. The most we had was five girlies but that was only when large Walk-in-Run added.
Good luck - you won't regret it. )t'
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Tink, Gary..sorry grey lol, has been drawing up plans and pricing up for the walk in run.....thanks to specs from silverback, but its grown...a lot! lol He is really keen to get a couple of ex batt girlies, and I can actually see us coming home with an extra girlie tomorrow, if we spot another that we like....we are as bad as each other lol. We will get a cover of some kind to drop over the front of the run, pretty sheltered to the back as close to the fence panel, but anything to stop it getting too wet and muddy!!
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi MG,
I used an old polytunnel cover for my Walk-in-Run roof, or take a look at the link!:

http://www.tarpaulinsdirect.co.uk/Tarpa ... efault.asp
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Mimsy-Grey......I have a colmbian black tail chook,One of my original group of hybrids.She has always been the friendliest and easiest to handle {hug} )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!