shopping list basics

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

shopping list basics

Post by mimsy-grey »

Morning all, nipping into town this morning for a few housekeeping basics ....you know in preparation for the girlies arrival )c( .....stuff for cleaning them out and so on, I'm wondering if a plastic cat litter tray would do for a dust bath? (until we build them a bigger play area) and as there isn't much....'dust' around what would I put in it?? a little bag of dry potting compost (is that safe?) suggestions please :D

madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: shopping list basics

Post by madmum »

OOOOOH how exciting )c( Yes a cat littler tray will be fine,if a little small, for a largish chook )j; Just keep it topped up 'cos the contents will go every where :shock: When i first got my bantams before they had their big run i just put the dry compost in a heap and they used that.They do like to bath together so maybe just keep a pile for them to all get in at the same time )t' The big girls just make their own "wallows"!!!!I am sure hippos make smaller ones!!!!!Have fun !!!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

That would be fine, also fine sand/ sharp/kiln dried even soil. )t'
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Excellent thank you! )t' (really I know they would make their own but this waiting til Tuesday and being patient is soooooooooo hard hehehhee) lucky it isn't spring, i'd be out shopping for hanging baskets for them! >mmm<
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

You mean like this? :oops: :oops:

Me embarrassed............? :oops: :oops:
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

How fabulous! I mean exactly! like that!! ooooh wonders if I could get some more winter pansies whilst i'm out :-D (must resist the temptation to get them pretty flowery dustpan and brush and get them the practical metal one!)
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

{rofwl}
Dave the springer, 2 cats, Boo, Gizmo. 3 ex batts Mopsy, Thelma & louise. bluebell Matha,buff orp Gertie,rode island Kentucy, cream legbear Lola,
oh and the 2 teenagers !!!!!!!

R I P flopsy, miss our cuddles xx
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

By the time I reached town, I had plans to get landscape their little garden with silver bells and cockle shells, buy them a little table and chairs and tiny tea service, gingham table cloth with curtains to match, sadly all the good shops were closed! hehehhehe come the better weather I am sooooooooooooooo going to enjoy making their little home beautiful .....contented myself today though with buying a supply of latex gloves, their own trowel, very stiff (and rather ugly :? ) scrubby type brush, a tub of dried meal worms (wonder if the Robins mind that they won't be getting so many now?) bag of grit, cheapo bag of compost and a bath (cat litter tray lol) lavender coloured of course :-D
tiddles1
Lively Laner

Post by tiddles1 »

welcome to dtl bet u looking forward to yur girls i have 3 and they are such characters ps i think the hanging baskets are a big tease mine would fly up to eat those yummy pansies as they have eaten everything else in the garden, now got their own pen i haver officially reclaimed my garden back ha ha )t' {hug}
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Here is a piccy of Lavender cottage, planning permission for extension already approved ;)

Tiddles I have been in 'Christmas Eve' mode this past week or so! )c(
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Hi and welcome to the lane. )wav(
You will never regret getting chickens and your lives will be brighter for it.
I have had ex batts now for 2 years and adore them.
Your coop is the same as mine,I bought it off the net. We have had a larger contained covered run added which is just great as they can get themseves up/go to bed on their own. We opened up the wire at far end as the entrance.
I am pleased with the coop for the money and have it on flags to, I put lino down and chippings on top.
The handles on the tray were a bit flimsy but replaced with sturdy ones. Just check the nest box lid is secure as I felt a fox could push it up. We put a thick piece of bent wire through it rather that keep using a padlock.
Enjoy your coop looking so smart as the girls will "rough it up" a bit but thats the whole fun of them.
They will certainly put their mark on the coop and a bigger dent in your heart.
:-D >ch<
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

It looks lovely :-D Like the little Buddha too. Hope you have a wonderful time with your chicks, it wont be long before you are cooing over them like a deranged pigeon )t' .....Lyn
LYN
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

Tink, I wonder if they have changed the design a tiny bit, there aren't handles on the tray, now kind of finger grips in the edge of the tray, good idea about the wire for the lock on the egg box, though as its new, its rather a Chinese puzzle at the moment to open lol, you have to turn the metal loop around to a certain position before you can unhook it, but for extra safety will do the wire thing. :-D thinking also of extra bolts on the doors...though again they are so stiff and fiddly, they are a bit of a beggar to unlock, which is a good thing. Very good quality though for the money, so we don't mind spending more on a walk in run :-D

Thanks Lyn :D I thought the girls might appreciate a little enlightenment and tranquility whilst laying for their mama :D
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi mimsy-grey,
That coop will look great inside the Walk-in-Run your planning )t' , enjoy your girls! >gl< .
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
mimsy-grey
Lively Laner

Post by mimsy-grey »

)t' Thanks Silverback! :D