Chook possibly egg bound?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
selrufus
Learner Laner

Chook possibly egg bound?

Post by selrufus »

My posh girl hasn't laid for a couple of weeks but has been bright eyed and bushy tailed but today she suddenly fluffed up and had a dirty bum (white) and doesn't seem herself.
I've given her a warm soapy bath and have had lots of pulsing, I've also covered her vent in olive oil while she's pulsing to, I've dried her off and separated her, does this sound like she is egg bound? Is there anything else I can do?

I'm sure there are loads of topics on chooks being egg bound so if anyone can point me to an informative one I'd be really grateful.

bluebell
Legendary Laner

Re: Chook possibly egg bound?

Post by bluebell »

How old is she?

Does she have any swellings or heat between her legs or from legs to vent area?

Is she pulsating all of the time as if trying to lay an egg. Any mucus, egg yolk or yolk been found near her or on her vent area?

Answering this might give folk a bit more information to go on.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
selrufus
Learner Laner

Post by selrufus »

I can't feel any heat between her legs and vent.

She is about 18 months to 2 years old.

She is pulsating as if trying lay an egg but no mucus or egg yolk around her vent to be seen. She is currently in her nest box as if trying to lay.

I have gently felt around in her vent (with gloved hand )wav( ) and I can't feel an egg, should I be able to and if there is an egg stuck should I be able to feel it? I have to say this is the first time I have probed a chicken so not sure exactly what I was feeling for.

How soon should I give a second warm soapy bath?
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

You can't go wrong in bathing her in warm water, it will help relax her muscles and hopefully help the egg along. They do seem to enjoy it so you are not putting her under any undue stress.
Good luck.. >fi< for her.
Jane x
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Just use warm water. ....no soap. Fingers crossed for her.
selrufus
Learner Laner

Post by selrufus »

She's no better this morning so I am bringing her in to the house for another very warm bath and have got a dog crate set up for her so she will be warm inside, towels in the tumble dryer getting warm for her to sit on, if she's no better by this afternoon I think I'll pop her to the vets as I feel a bit helpless.
selrufus
Learner Laner

Post by selrufus »

Still no sign of any egg soft or otherwise, but I have got her to eat some scrambled egg mixed in with pellets and corn and a little oil. She is still puckering as if she is trying to pass something, is there anything else I can be doing?

I've rung my chicken experienced vet who has said to keep bathing her and if she's no better by tomorrow he'll see her in the afternoon.
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

You could pop a hot water bottle wrapped in towel underneath her, keeps her cozy and relaxed.
Jane x
selrufus
Learner Laner

Post by selrufus »

Thanks Jane she is now sat on a nice warm hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Fingers crossed she's ok overnight.
selrufus
Learner Laner

Post by selrufus »

This morning there has been a change, she is warm between her legs and her vent and it feels squishy compared to yesterday, does this mean she definitely has peritonitis?
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Could be but ascites is fluid as well. I would take her to Vet a.s.ap. I think you have done all YOU can.
selrufus
Learner Laner

Post by selrufus »

She's already booked in, I booked her in yesterday and the earliest they could see her was this afternoon.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Hi, have to agree it does sound like ascites - more commonly known as water belly. Your vet may be able to draw fluid off - got to be honest sometimes vets can draw fluid off but more often than not it just continues to come and then owners have to face the face that their hen may be put to sleep.

If she was hot between leg area and not squishy and swelling there, I would have probably thought it could be egg yolk peritonitis (this would be if she hasn't laid an egg for a while).

Your vet will let you know what is happening.

Good luck at vets today, hun.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
selrufus
Learner Laner

Post by selrufus »

Back from the vets and he said definitely no egg stuck, no sign of EYP and its not ascites, he think s she has just picked up a bug of some kind and is now on the mend he said to keep her separated for another couple of days and to offer her normal pellets but if she doesnt east to tempt her with some treats mixed in so she eats something and to see how she is in a couple of days and to add some apple cider vinegar to her water.

She still isn't right but she does seem better than she did yesterday so I'm keeping fingers crossed.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

I hope she picks up soon {hug}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx