Giblet the chick

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LisaB

Re: Giblet the chick

Post by LisaB »

Can't believe I never saw this thread before now!
What a wonderful (and a little bit sad) story.
Their new run looks fabulous!

s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

How brilliant is that home for them both envy}}

It's so lovely that you kept on going with Giblet and didn't give up, and Pebbles looks very happy there as well. Well done )t'
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Just read this post and blubbed as well, what a lovely story :-D
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

What a fabulous setup for them, adapting it to meet their needs. Well done and thank you so much for the update as Giblet did officially steal my heart {hug&kiss}
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

{cry} what a touching story {hug} bless
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

As time has passed I've come to realise Gibby's blindness is not her greatest problem.
When she would wave her head about missing the food I first thought it was a sort
of depth perception difficulty, but it's become obvious she has some neurological
issues, and it seems to be getting worse as she gets older. She's had a very major
moult that's been going on for ages - (seems to be a lot of that this year, perhaps
due to the mild weather?) - so maybe that's the cause in which case she may improve.
She waves her head over her food, often seems to be struggling to make her beak go
in the right direction. I gently tap her bowl & she tries to home in on the sound, then
sometimes she'll peck into the air as if trying to catch a fly. First thing in the morning
is the worst, probably because she's so hungry, I spend more time every day helping
her make sure she gets something, but lately her food hasn't gone down much by
bedtime whereas it used to be nearly empty by treat time. She's getting very light
and I'm afraid that when the cold weather comes she's going to be in trouble.
Its possible that lack of nutrician may be making this worse - sort of vicious circle,
but its hard to give Gibby anything extra, I cant handfeed her which is sooo frustrating,
She manages fine with her water, she's got the hang of sliding her head down the tub into the water, so I may try some of that tonic to add to the water. Any other ideas
would be welcome.
Tomorrow I will have a photo session with Gibby as with her new feathers she's so
pretty & clean!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Kitla

I've loved Giblet's story and I'm so sorry to hear she's not doing so well. Maybe the moult is taking its toll on her, some girls do seem to be suffering hard with it this year.

Obviously sugar water and tonic if she's okay with her water. I wonder what the problem with her food is? It's odd that she should be fine with water but not food. Again it may be that she's off it due to the moult. Have you tried her with scrambled egg and tomato juice, see if that stimulates her appetite? Or fishy cat food/sardines - she might even catch a whiff of the smell to guide her.

Is this relatively new behaviour for her or has it been going on for some time? (I mean the head waving and seeming inability to control some movements)
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet's always moved her head with jerky movements, and had trouble picking
things up, it just seems to be getting worse. At first I thought it was because of her being blind from birth so never having learned to peck at things, but its become obvious she cant control her head movements very well. We think she's a victim of interbreeding, I hatched her parents though they weren't what they were supposed to be, so I don't know their history, her dad now has an eye problem that may develop into blindness, vet thinks probably genetic. So Giblets related parents were probably pretty interbred already & I foolishly hatched from them.
I don't think Gibby has any lack of appetite, more that she's having problems actually
picking up enough food. perhaps I'll try & get a vid of her eating. I just thought
maybe if she's lacking certain vitamins/minerals it may be making her worse.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Kitla

Yes, I've seen posts where you mention it may be interbreeding. Poor little things.

Manda did post up about vitamins on the 'moulting and drunk' hen thread - apologies if you've seen it already. If not, it's here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49417 Perhaps try her with a short course of multivits as Manda mentions?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh bless Giblet, how lucky to have such a wonderful caring fighter looking after her {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I gave Gibby some tinned corn & peas yesterday, she was very excited & when she'd
stopped jumping at imaginary flies & bumping into things she finally got stuck in &
managed to eat more than she threw on the floor! Then she carried on & ate most
of her mash too. Today she seemed a lot more focused & able to put her head in the
right direction while she ate. I'm really hoping the improvement will last, I'll
definitely get some vits for her water anyway, I like the look of the Biolink tonic,
looks like it has everything in it.
--Immanuel Kant
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

another little hen that warms my heart and gets me blubbing between giblet and bumble I have a box of tissues in my hand im so glad today she was a bit better keep on getting stronger little gibby xxx {hug} {hug} {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, I'm with Aceface - so heartwarming to follow this little hen's story. I'm so pleased she seems a little better and eating today. Maybe she just fancied a change from pellets and mash :-D

Sounds like the moult has really taken it out of her. >fi< that some vits pick her up as well
Karen
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

So glad Gibby is eating more and feeling a bit better today {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Oh my goodness they are the cutest things! {hug}

youre doing such a good job with them Kitla . I have never noticed this thread before,
but it is heartwarming .

well done to you for giving her a chance theyre growing beautifully :and i love that the Hubs is showing his true chicken colours )t' Mine too acts like "theyre just chickens" but ill find him outside giving them little treats and chatting away to them

good luck with them i look forward to the next installment!

>ch< +f+