Giblet the chick

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kitla
Legendary Laner

Giblet the chick

Post by kitla »

this is the sad & ongoing tale of poor little Giblet, the not quite right chick.
I thought, as I had a home lined up even for any boys, that letting Spotty hatch 3 eggs
would be a doddle. I waitied for ages to catch this special moment
2 eggs hatched, this is Twinkle, a girl I think & perfect
This is Giblet, (the face peeking out) who behaved oddly from the beginning
Giblet didnt eat or drink for days, he was pecking aimlessly at the ground, the air,
himself. eventually I made some Chick crumb "soup" & put him in it, he ate it, that
gave him water too. He goes to mum when she calls but cant peck at anything
particular. He isnt growing, Twinkle is double his size. I thought he was retarded or
had nerve damage. I told my boys not to get attached as he wouldnt live long.But he's getting stronger, I think he maybe blind.
My head tells me I should have him pts, but I keep wanting to give him a chance
They're 10 days old now
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

perchy

Re: Giblet the chick

Post by perchy »

Aww, bless you for giving Giblet a chance, I guess you can just see how things go, whatever you decide it will be the right decision for Giblet and you all {hug}
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Oh my gosh how sweet are they!! Hope it all turns out ok for you >fi<
LYN
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

He's really sweet, hope he starts to thrive soon kitla {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

great pics , good luck with the little man xx
Dave the springer, 2 cats, Boo, Gizmo. 3 ex batts Mopsy, Thelma & louise. bluebell Matha,buff orp Gertie,rode island Kentucy, cream legbear Lola,
oh and the 2 teenagers !!!!!!!

R I P flopsy, miss our cuddles xx
manda

Post by manda »

Aww Kitla...I think you might be right...there was someone on here (I think) who has/had a blind hen (I think it was an ex-batty)...once it sussed out the area it was in it poddled around OK...so it's possible that Giblet might do the same >fi<
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet is growing a bit but is still a bumble bee compaired to his big lively sister.
I told my husband if he didnt improve, it would get to the point I would have him pts.
I was quite taken aback when husband (who's always moaning about the pets & their
mess, smells etc) said if Giblet lives we should look after him & let him live in the house!! yike*
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Aw so glad he's getting a good fighting chance )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet & Twinkle have grown up, about 9 weeks old now.
we think Giblet is a girl & Twinkle is a boy, though I think Twinkle is too pretty!
since Spotty abandoned & then kept attacking them they've been daytimes in
a small run on the grass & nights in a big cage indoors with a heatpad & feather
duster which helps blind giblet to settle. She loves to crawl through long grass
and straw, she seems to love the feel of it. She can find her food & water by
following Twinkle, they're gorgeous, but sadly today I'm taking Twinkle to my
friend to be rehomed with some other chicks the same age. He wont like
living in that small run for long & Giblet cant have a cockerel in with her. I'll be
bringing home 2 silkie youngsters to hopefully bond with Giblet, & praying one will
be a girl. I have no experience with silkies but have been advised that they are the
best natured breed & most likely to be kind to Giblet.
I'm dreading seperating these 2 though, they cry when they cant find eachother,
I must be strong! {cry}
--Immanuel Kant
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have been following the trials of Giblet and am so pleased that she is doing fine.A shame about twinkle but you have to be strong and don't let your heart rule your head ..You have to do the best for both of them.She is not my chick but I feel sure she will have a good strong life and always be a favourite . .
Good luck x
Jackie
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

It is such an endearing story.
Good luck to Twinkle in his new home and to dear little Giblet and hoping her new sisters will care for her.
You are an absolute star in the care that you are giving, it can't be easy.. )t'
Jane x
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Awww Kitla, what a lovely tale and here's wishing Twinkle a happy new home and Giblet all the very best for her and her new sisters. Big {hug} {hug} for you all {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think fate intervened for Giblet today. I was giving the silkie chicks a cuddle
and trying to work out which were more likely to be girls, then my friend suggested
I look at a slightly older one she was more sure was a girl, it had been bullied so she'd
put it with the younger chicks this am, but they had bullied her too & made her tail
bleed quite a bit. We put her in the box with Giblet, she froze expecting to be pecked
& Giblet snuggled underneath her!. {hug} well I had to take her home.
So here she is Mrs Fluffnut complete with bald bum covered in sudocream &
antiseptic powder.
I'm not certain, but I think mrs fluffnut may have poor eyesight, which may be why
she was picked on. Twinkle is happy he's gone into a run with his cousin.
--Immanuel Kant
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Awwww -perfick )t'
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Aw kitla that is so lovely to see a happy ending. They were made for each other, please keep us up to date with how giblet and mrs fluffnut get on {hug}
Woody Allen