Feather loss

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Feather loss

Post by Julia »

I'm not really sure if my Gertrude has a problem.

I've had a bout of leg mite about a year ago and it's one of those things I have managed to control but found it hard to eradicate.

Polly then started to go a bit bald on her head and neck but I put this down to a bit of pecking as she's a cheeky little watsit and is always upsetting the other girls. Then about a month ago Gertrude started to look a bit moth-eaten around the neck. I put it down to her moult but while her other feathers have come on nicely she is still has a scraggy neck.

I did wonder i it's scaly face but it's not really on her face. I have read that Ivamectin is great at getting rid of mites and lice with one drop to the neck but it's not licenced in chickens although some vets say they use it. What is your experience?

All my other girls are fine.
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Feather loss

Post by kitla »

Ivermectin is good stuff, I was prescribed it by my avian vet for scaley mite & it
worked a treat. I now always use it at the first sign, it also kills any other lice
or mites they have - and may even treat worms I think (not sure about that though)
One drop between the shoulders once a week for 3 weeks. I gave a small drop
for my pekin who was about 500g, a bigger drop for my warren, & 2 for my
rather huge orpington.
My orpington gets sort of bare patches of broken feathers sometimes, I think its
leading up to her moult, as if her feathers have worn out! best to rule out
mites/lice though anyway.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Thanks for that . I really appreciate it.

Can I just buy it on line?
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Just on other thing. Do you have an egg withdrawal time with Ivermectin?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Both times I got mine from the vet, you can get it online but I think you may
need a prescription - cant remember now. The one I have is Pharmaq 1% (it comes
in different strengths) I drop per 500g eg parrot, which is about pekin bantam size
& the vet's label states 7 days egg withdrawal. I personally didnt worry about that
after hearing that Ivermectin is sometimes used to treat parasites in people too!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Out of interest, laners, would you suspect mites if the chicken still seemed well in herslef and was feeding well?
manda

Post by manda »

She could be going into a slow moult...you never know but this time of year it could be...some start slowly and carry on for months whereas others it looks like a fight in a pillow factory!!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny