Chicken bones?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Chicken bones?

Post by tortzblue »

After making lovely chicken bone stock in the slow cooker overnight I noticed the ends of the chicken bones are very soft and disintegrate between my fingers. Do you wise peeps think this could be mushed up with my veggie and mash pm treat for my girls? (Obviously not including the hard splintery normal bones.) I thought it may be full of calcium and nutrients and too good to waste. >stir< Does anyone know please?

manda

Re: Chicken bones?

Post by manda »

Personally I would say no because you don't know if there are any pathogens in there (even with cooking) ...giving chicken to chickens just doesn't sit right with me ....could be just me though.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

Personally no from me too, although how lovely you thought of them )t'
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

Right - Into the hot composter they go then. Thanks for thoughts ladies )t'
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

)ot: How do you make your chicken stock in the slow cooker? I recently got my slow cooker and have got really addicted cooking my roasts in wine, can't get any easier :-D
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

chicks&cats wrote:)ot: How do you make your chicken stock in the slow cooker? I recently got my slow cooker and have got really addicted cooking my roasts in wine, can't get any easier :-D

After cooking a whole chicken (with with no added water but a few spices, paprika thyme etc) in the slow cooker, I removed the meat and left all the juices. Topped up with water, two carrots, two celery sticks and an onion chopped. plus put all the bones and skin and bits you don't eat back in. left the slow cooker on low overnight. In the morning I strained everything leaving the lovely stock, skim off any fat when cool - easy! )t'
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

NO yike*
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

I've give mine a chicken carcass to pick clean once......
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

This is a definite NO from me. A number of years ago we had what was known as mad cows disease - how did this start, from animal carcases being converted to feed for animals and entering the food chain.

Check out google or DEFRA website for more information.

Manda, as usual, is right )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Definitely not here, any meat products like chicken can contain prions and other things which can carry disease and viruses and they are not killed by cooking, etc. Hence where another poster said about BSE. I feed my chickens fish happily and tinned fish, etc. I also give them tinned cat food but only that which has NO chicken products or derivatives in. You have to ring the manufacturer to find one that has absolutely no chicken ingredients as nearly all cat food manufacturers use it as a cheap bulker even if it's not on the tin, it's usually in there.

HTH
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

Doesn't sit well with me either.

I am all for recycling but the feed should go to other species, not chickens.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Your chicken stock sounds divine, I love my slow cooker as well :-D

As for giving chicken to the girls, it doesn't sit right with me I'm afraid.

I know some do and some don't, each to their own.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

me neither im afraid it would be like sitting down to dinner with a knife and fork and tucking into a dead relative {cry} im not for feeding animals to animals but unfortunatley i am forced to give fish to the hens for the oils etc and im never happy to do it ,but each to their own >shrug<
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

tortzblue wrote:After cooking a whole chicken (with with no added water but a few spices, paprika thyme etc) in the slow cooker, I removed the meat and left all the juices. Topped up with water, two carrots, two celery sticks and an onion chopped. plus put all the bones and skin and bits you don't eat back in. left the slow cooker on low overnight. In the morning I strained everything leaving the lovely stock, skim off any fat when cool - easy! )t'

Sounds fab, thanks )t'