Dog attack

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Dr Ruth
Learner Laner

Dog attack

Post by Dr Ruth »

After fox proofing everything we had a horrific experience today when I was cleaning out the coop. the dog from next door got into the garden and mauled my poor Marilyn. Luckily because I was there I managed to chase it away enough to mean that she's escaped with loss of feathers rather than serious injury but she's very shaky and We might loose her to fright in the night. Next door neighbour tried to say it was her right to let her dog wander around in their yard unsupervised and without a lead! I'm very cross and extremely upset, Marilyn had just started laying this week.

I know there's nothing we can do, but I know you'll all understand my need to share. Been very tearful all afternoon, my poor girls.
Chickens Audrey, Marilyn and Rita.

wendy

Re: Dog attack

Post by wendy »

Oh dear, oh dear.
Than goodness you were there, otherwise it doesn't bear thinking about.
Dogs are canine, as is a fox.
I hope she comes through the fright OK.
{hug} {hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oh how awful for you and Marilyn {cry}
Try giving her a little sugar water - may help with the shock {hug}

How did the dog get in? There is obviously a gap somewhere in the boundary that he took advantage of that needs plugging up as soon as possible )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Oh I am so sorry to hear about what happened ...I have two wildish dogs next door to me and it is my worst fear.
Please keep us upto date with her progress. {hug&kiss}
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Have you no barrier between you and next door to prevent this happening again?Sorry for your distress.

Maggie {hug}
Dr Ruth
Learner Laner

Post by Dr Ruth »

I should clarify to those questioning how the dog got in that both our gardens adjoin a field full of sheep so dogs should be kept under control. The dog was not in a back yard but a front forecourt shared by 3 houses and just left to runabout unsupervised. It managed to scramble up a grassy slope, climb over a compost area and jump over a wall into our garden. So high it couldn't get back out when we chased it. We weren't naive enough to have chickens where we thought dogs could get in, this dog must have Been on its own for some time to get into our land.
Chickens Audrey, Marilyn and Rita.
manda

Post by manda »

What a fright for you ...hope Marilyn is OK .

Dr Ruth wrote: Next door neighbour tried to say it was her right to let her dog wander around in their yard unsupervised and without a lead!

Actually I was under the impression that there are no such rights when it comes to dogs...the owner is responsible for keeping their dogs under control at all times ...end of. I suppose the question could be put to your neighbour what if it was a baby the dog had grabbed...would that be OK? For some chooks don't rate that high but if you put it into terms of a child being got they can see the risk.

Dr Ruth wrote:I should clarify to those questioning how the dog got in that both our gardens adjoin a field full of sheep so dogs should be kept under control. The dog was not in a back yard but a front forecourt shared by 3 houses and just left to runabout unsupervised.

Lucky for the dog it went your way..a field full of sheep and it could have ended up with a bullet in it.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Totally agree with Manda. To be honest a dog entering a field of sheep doesn't necessarily have to attack the sheep, the farmer can shoot the dogs as being a threat. (Not that I agree with this!).

You have obviously had a shock, your poor chook has had a dreadful shock. A word with your neighbour is needed to ensure that they are in control of their dog. Dog's can be a lovely pet to have, but they need control. How would your neighbour feel if is unsupervised dog ran up to a small child and either knocked the child over, or worse attacked the child (an extreme example I know, but thought provoking all the same).
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We have a new dog who is just getting used to living in the country. We've raised the height of the fences twice now to ensure that he can't get out. I NEVER let him out into the garden unless I know that the hens are in their fenced off area. Normally we have cows in the field across the lane. They went in a few weeks ago and last week were replaced by in-lamb ewes. I know that the farmer would shoot Scruff if he got into the field - and tbh I wouldn't blame him. It's our responsibility to make sure that both our dogs are confined - and that applied to your neighbours, too.

I'm sorry you've had such a rotten experience and hope that your neighbours get a grip of the situation.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

I hope Marilyn has made it through the night. I agree with Manda, if you have a dog then it should be secure in the garden for its own safety as well as that of neighbouring pets/animals/children.
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh poor Marilyn and you too DrRuth {cry}

Hope she's feeling a little better this morning {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

How is she this morning? >fi< {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

What an awful experience for you both .... I hope you're both feeling better this morning. {hug}
My dog is really good around my girls but it has taken a lot of training for her and I would STILL not let her be near them without a wire fence between them unless I can physically watch her every second. Your neighbour has no rights at all to let her dog roam.
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

What a horror story, and hope your girl is getting over her fright, and you too.

We have six dogs next door, and one ended up in our back garden, she was OK, but we blocked the holes up straight away. We thought our garden was next door dog proof, but some old netting had given way. Some of the next door dogs are quite vicious, one has bitten in the past, and the postman refuses to deliver mail to the door.
duncan
Lively Laner

Post by duncan »

Oh no poor you, i hope Marilyn is ok this morning.

I have great danes and i foster to, one of the rules is we have to have at least 6ft fencing and all dogs are undercontrol with in your property and land, My dane is very good and well mannered but i would NEVER totally trust her with the girlies.
Do you know what type of dog it was???. Your neighbour needs a strong talking to imo, for her to allow her dog to do this is unbelieveable, yes shes right in saying that she can let her dog wander her yard without supervision, ok thats fine BUT when her dog gets out and injures/kill/mauls then thats HER responsibility, lets hope for the dogs sake the farmer doesnt see it in his sheep field otherwise itll get shot, i feel so sorry for you marilyn and the dog (its not the dogs fault), its the bloody IRRESPONSIBLE owner who doesnt have a care in the world for anyone or anything, ARRGGGHH people like them make my hackles stand up.

I hope Marilyn is ok today
Not only do i love chooks.

I love my horses and great danes, working tirelessly with rescues