Pulling Feathers

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Happy Alun
Lively Laner

Pulling Feathers

Post by Happy Alun »

Hello everyone!

Well I have discovered some blood on the side of their pellet feeder today which caused me great distress, I have four girls all differnet breeds which have spent the last seven months happliy free ranging around the garden but due to the bad weather and the distruction of my garden I have enforced that they stay in their covered run which is around 25ft long by 7ft wide which in my opinon is a huge space for four chickens but due to me treating them to my huge garden all year they could be distressed by this?

The top bird (Doris) has been seen pulling feathers today from the other three so I can only assume its her who is bullying the rest, I did check all four over but found no sign of bleeding on the birds.

I have segregated Doris into the main garden for now to teach her a lesson, don't think she likes the snow!

So the other three will get on fine without her so I have a dilleama? do I dispatch Doris to keep the others happy or is there any other way to stop a chicken from bullying?

I am not giving in and letting them all back in the garden again as I want it to recover after the last seven months of damage.

Always happy for any advice!

Regards

Alun

Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: Pulling Feathers

Post by Willow »

Feather pulling or eating can be a sign of protein deficiency or boredom, not necessarily ‘bullying’..

If your run is big enough and has enough ‘nooks & crannies’ and objects for the chickens to hide behind , jump / climb on top of etc and to keep them interested you shouldn’t really have much of a problem.
Try raising the protein level.

Have you seen actual fighting taking place? Is one hen constantly chasing the others? This too is normal by the way, as long as it doesn’t get out of hand. Hens pecking order changes and its natural hen behaviour to sort out who’s ‘top hen’..

I would definitely not separate the flock unless its absolutely necessary.. and ‘despatching’ a chicken because of some feather pulling??? Absolutely not.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
maz24
Longlasting Laner

Post by maz24 »

I agree with you Willow.

I found blood on my feeder a couple of years back and couldnt find where it came from and came on here worried, and got the answer, Mice!! my lovely girls had caught a mouse. I thought not My Girls they wouldnt do a thing like that. Then a couple of days later I caught them with another mouse trying to stretch it between them and blood everywhere yike* . Could be what your girlies where up to.

If they are eating the feathers they are pulling def need protein. lots of dried meal worms,un dyed maggots or even fishy cat food.
Manriax
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Lol Maz24... I was quite surprised the first time I saw our chickens chase each other all over the garden for a mouse our cats had left.. and I know our chickens have managed to corner and kill a mouse , nature is cruel but our cute little chooks are raptors yike*
Blood on a feeder can be from a damage beak or simply that a chicken has cut herself and flicked the blood - I've had blood on the walls of the coop before now and have never found the source.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
maz24
Longlasting Laner

Post by maz24 »

Hi Tina, yes our little darlings can turn to monsters but as you say thats nature. And to be honest Id put up with a lot just to have my girls back. Ive been sitting here looking at my run that was . Its so good to be able to come on here and try and help other peps with their chooks. Did you have a lot of snow I know of someone in wales who have had a foot of snow and they are cut off at the moment.
Marianxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I had a feather plucker who would pull gently but when the patch got balder would tug at her sisters feathers. All the protein and boredom busters in the world never stopped her. My top chick now has taken an interest in any girls that is moulting so I have to keep vigilant for any blood. It is really annoying but sometimes it just to be in their nature
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Happy Alun
Lively Laner

Post by Happy Alun »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the advice, you will all be pleased to know that the bullying has stopped :-D

Just needed to give the terrible Doris more protein (worms and meal worms) and they have calmed down now.

Cheers again )t'
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

)t' glad you managed to sort out this little blip
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

yes, glad it was a 'blip', but as Willow said, feather pulling is prob either protein deficiency or boredom. I think when we have our hens FR, then due to the destruction of the garden, decide that they have to be in the run, they must get very bored. Some branches that they can climb/perch on, hang some feeders up, a whole cabbage to peck at, scatter a handful of grain around the run to peck for, and various bits and bobs around the run to alleviate the boredom is a good idea.

The important thing if there is blood showing is to COVER it up! Either with sudocrem or gentian violet spray or whatever, once the others see the red, they will be attracted to it, and can escalate or become a habit very quickly! Glad the worms seem to have done the trick for you )t'