Treacle's gone

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Re: Treacle's gone

Post by ChickenCarol »

Thank you so much everyone for all your kind words and thoughts. It has made the tears stream again reading them. I have just put out a post about Treacle on my blog with a tribute in photos if anyone would like to take a look. She was so beautiful and always so interactive. The flock seems sad and lacking colour today without her.

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Awww I'm so sorry, you tried so hard for her {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Just read your blog Carol and the tears are streaming {cry} Treacle really was a beautiful girl and you are going to miss her for a long time. Hoping that you can remember her with a smile before too long {hug}
LYN
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

Hi Carol, Im so sorry to hear about Treacle, I fully understand what you're saying, Ive had to have 3 girls pts and it doesnt get any easier. You so want them to recover, but you dont want them to suffer. Its very hard. My cat was the last one to go, and Im still so sad about it. Dont soul search, just know you did everything you could do, and putting her to sleep was the kindest act because she couldnt be left as she was.
A big {hug} for you and your OH.
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

You tried so hard to help poor little treacle and having her pts gently was the kindest thing to do.
I know how wretched you will be feeling but we all know how much you cared for her {hug} .
RIP little Treacle. There are lots more chooks waiting over rainbow bridge for you, all been loved and lost.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
maz24
Longlasting Laner

Post by maz24 »

So sorry to hear about Treacle {cry} {cry}. {hug} {hug}To you Carol and your oh
Marianxx
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

aww I'm so sorry {hug} {hug}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Oh dear, I'm so sorry. Having Treacle pts was the last caring thing that you could do for her, and at least you can feel that you really did do everything that you could have. Try and remember the pleasure she gave you, and remember her fondly.
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

I'm so sorry, your post made me cry, I can't imagine how you feel xx
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Awww I am so sorry to hear this,RIP little Treacle {hug}
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Carol, so very sorry to hear your sad news {cry}

Fly high little Treacle {hug} {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

Like the others, I am reading this with tears streaming down my face. Losing one of our pets is a horrible thing to go through, and especially when we make the decision to have them pts.
I've had dogs and cats all my life, and hens since June. I remember with love all my furry friends who have left us, the last one to go was our Glenn, who had to be the best Border Collie in the world! he was 14 and it took me weeks to stop crying, I still get a lump in my throat when I see collies.
We have two other dogs who give us so much pleasure and love, the hens are so funny but I know that one day, I will have to say goodbye to them all.
Remember your little girl and let the tears flow, it helps.

Sending you lots of love xxxx
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Aww its so sad to read treacle has gone. Its clear she was much loved and cared for, you did what was right for her. {hug} {hug} {hug}
Julie x
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

oh carol im so sorry treacle didnt make it ,we are so very limited in what we can do and she was loved and had a great life with you sending you a {hug} {cry} i can stop crying she has touched so many hearts bless her,sleep tight little treacle >ch< {cry}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Once again I want to thank everyone. Your kind thoughts and support have meant so much to me.

The day after we lost Treacle, Dotty at nine months old, laid her first egg. She laid again the next day (yesterday) and is in the nest box again today. Looks like she is trying to make up for lost time.

These last few days I have so missed Treacle but have spent more time with the other girls and suddenly realised how healthy they look. They have bright red comes and fluffy bottoms, are alert and lively and I know whatever was wrong was something in Treacle. Poor Treacle's comb at the end was shrivelled and pale and grey.

I think while trying to build up Treacle, I have got the other girls to their peak.

The other girls keep looking for her, the first day in every corner of the run and since then they keep looking in the coop. The three of them but especially Bluebell keeps going in the coop, which she never did before except to lay.

It is a time of adjusting for us all but I am so glad to see the other girls looking so healthy, I guess I will never know what was wrong with Treacle.