Chicken Run Panels

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
highamchick
Learner Laner

Chicken Run Panels

Post by highamchick »

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and currently converting a garden shed for our two chickens plus some new ones. We've decided a taller run (approx 6ft x 13ft) is the best option and have been looking on eBay for ready-made panels to purchase. Has anyone else done this instead of making their own? Any good or bad experiences?

Any advice welcome )t'

chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken Run Panels

Post by chicks&cats »

We got our run from a man on ebay who makes them to all different sizes. I think it ended up being cheaper than buying all the individual bits required but the downfall was he didn't send the instructions }hairout{ Husband worked it out in the end....

Just had a quick look on ebay but can't see him on there, however there are lots of the panels which look the same as what ours are )t'
highamchick
Learner Laner

Post by highamchick »

Thanks for that chicks&cats. Is there a picture of your set up in the members coop photos? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271155067709? ... 1423.l2648 These are what I've been looking at. They appear ok to me but I'm no expert.
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I am going to be building a walk in run soon and have been looking at these on the Wells Poultry Site, there is a link to them at the side of the page, they also sell doors and all the fixings , I am not sure if they are better quality or not but they look good and are made with strong weldmesh so not easy for a fox to chew through
highamchick
Learner Laner

Post by highamchick »

Thanks morbidia, I'll find link and check them out.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

It works out soooooo much cheaper to make your own!
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
highamchick
Learner Laner

Post by highamchick »

Unfortunately we're not the best at DIY.
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Sorry my pics are not up yet on members coops :oops:
The bottom of the panels we used are solid wood to stop the chooks flicking woodchip everywhere!
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

I looked at the ones on ebay too, but they are all around the £20 mark (or any that were cheaper, didn't look very sturdy) and I just thought that was ridiculous, for some 2x4 nailed together and covered in weld mesh! I'm a bit of a skin flint though.

I am also rubbish at DIY, but I bet if you got your hands on the right tools, you could make your own panels easy enough - and then it's just a case of screwing/bolting them together - which you'd have to do anyway. You'd save heaps of cash, and you'd have the tools on hand for the next time.
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
highamchick
Learner Laner

Post by highamchick »

chicks&cats your photo has helped and it looks great. Dare I say it but I'm now searching for a second hand Eglu Classic for sale. The walk in run will take longer than anticipated due to a combination of things. In the meantime we can use an Eglu on the slabbed patio area then move it into the run once completed (we'll use the shed for storage instead). Does the classic fit through a standard door width?
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

The eglu fits through the 3ft door sideways! It can be taken through in bits though to make it easier, and less heavy! One of the other laners was saying they were a lot cheaper second hand on ebay so may be worth a look....
chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Post by chicken_house_man »

The one on that ebay link are made from 1 1/2" square (probably finished to arouns 1 1/4"), the ones from Wells Poultry are 63x38mm finished size and tanalised pressure treated. The others are treated but most likely just a standard fence dip.
highamchick
Learner Laner

Post by highamchick »

Thanks all :0)
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

That's a nice run chicksandcats.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Try pet pens4u.co.uk.I had my panels last year and a friend put them together,they are well made,tanalised, and the mesh is strong,I had the 1/2" mesh.

Maggie