advise needed please.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
barkingmad
Lively Laner

advise needed please.

Post by barkingmad »

Because of the thin eggs I'm getting from Chocolate I was advised to use the following supplement
Poultry calcium &D3 boost in the water.
Problem is it doesn't say for how long but it does say dont give to much..
Has anyone else used this and if so how long would you suggest. ?
Thank you

Hintza
Lively Laner

Re: advise needed please.

Post by Hintza »

Directions for Use: Don't offer to birds before first egg; Make fresh solution daily; Add 2.5ml to feed per bird or for quicker boost add 10ml to 1 litre of water.

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Barrier_Poultry_Calcium_D3_Boost.html

Personally I would try limestone flour for horses that is a lot cheaper 3Kg will cost you under £10. I have one RIR and have given up trying to toughen up her shells. 90% of which will be broken in the nest box, but she only lays 2-3 a week so I'm not too fussed.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
barkingmad
Lively Laner

Post by barkingmad »

Thank you yes I did read that. But it didn't say for how long..like worming thats only for 5/7 days...

I have read the bottle fully but still unsure if it is a one off remedy or do sor a day or so or maybe a month ????
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

Just keep adding it at the stated dose for a number of months and see if it makes a difference. Their pellets should have more than enough assuming you don't give too many treats.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Post by chicken_house_man »

I think you should see a change in a few days so i'd treat for a couple of week max and then see if the problem comes back.

Limestone is great but the lack of vitamins can cause calcium to not be absorbed in which case no amount of limestone will solve the problem.
manda

Post by manda »

I would personally rather use either or....these add both when there may not be a lack of one or the other...then your'e paying to add something to their diet they don't need.

Calcium....limestone flour
Cod Liver Oil or baby Vits = Vit D3

If there is no change with the Calcium alone then (as she's older) absorption issues becomes likely..try the codliver oil.

I personally would give for a week and see if there is a difference...no difference then change to the other...if no difference then try both at the same time (which is where you things like Calcivet come in)...but you can do that with the individual things as well.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I had a problem with soft shells and broken eggs from one of my ex batts. Limestone flour didn't work but limestone flour and cod liver oil worked.
[center][/center]Davina
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

davina112 wrote:I had a problem with soft shells and broken eggs from one of my ex batts. Limestone flour didn't work but limestone flour and cod liver oil worked.

thats interesting!
manda

Post by manda »

davina112 wrote:I had a problem with soft shells and broken eggs from one of my ex batts. Limestone flour didn't work but limestone flour and cod liver oil worked.

That would be about right with an ex-batty....you have increased Calcium needs for htem because they are older (and generally more depleted because all they've done is lay eggs in controlled light conditions to fool them into laying more) and their digestive systems probably don't absorb as well so upping the Vit D (cod liver oil) will help absorb it. )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

i add limestone flour to their pellets as directed and once a month they all get a capsule which i add to a mealworm and maggot wriggly soup ,i pierce the capsule and squeeze i might add, {rofwl} ,they gobble it up ,the limestone flour really helps my isabella she suffered with soft eggs terribly and had alot of trouble passing them bless her
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

I squeezed a cod liver oil capsule into their evening mash, which included Limestone flour. I found it did work better than Limestone alone for Sal, and her eggs did improve. I'm pretty sure she has stopped laying now but she did lay a few softies at the end. I will do the same with the others if their shells get thin or they start laying softies )t'
LYN