Fox attack and new girls

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Linsi30
Lively Laner

Fox attack and new girls

Post by Linsi30 »

We went away for the weekend and came back to find that a fox had got into the run and coop and killed 4 of my girls - taking 2. I'd asked the neighbour to keep an eye on them and with enough food, water and electric door, I assumed they'd be fine.
{cry}
There is a small hole in the corregated roof, due to high winds and I can only assume that the neighbour didn't closed the nest box properly when she took the eggs that morning.

Whilst we're devastated, as we only have 2 left we figured it would be best to get 2 more sooner rather than later as one is an ex-batt and older, so i'd hate for her to go and be left with one. I'm planning on going to pick 2 up later this afternoon. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks Linsi

Mrs B

Re: Fox attack and new girls

Post by Mrs B »

If it was me I would wait a few days to give the remaining girls time to recover from their trauma. This would give you time to do any repairs to the run.

I hope your remaining girls pull through.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Linsi what a terrible thing to happen, so sorry to hear of your losses {cry} {hug}

How are your remaining girls in themselves? Eating/drinking/doing all the normal chickeny things?

I've not been in this situation but I think I'd also be inclined to hang on a few days to see how your ladies are after the shock of what happened and to also repair any damage to your set up.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

No advice, just wanted to say how sorry I am that such a horrid thing happened.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

What a rotten thing to have happened, so sorry you lost your girls {hug}
LYN
Linsi30
Lively Laner

Post by Linsi30 »

Thank you. The 2 remaining girls appear to be fine. They're happy to be petted, are eating, drinking and the white sussex has laid each day since. We've fixed the hole, but maybe we should wait a few more days. I just thought it may be easier for them now before they fully adjust to being just 2 of them.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Linsi30 wrote:Thank you. The 2 remaining girls appear to be fine. They're happy to be petted, are eating, drinking and the white sussex has laid each day since. We've fixed the hole, but maybe we should wait a few more days. I just thought it may be easier for them now before they fully adjust to being just 2 of them.

That sounds good then Linsi, hopefully not too upset by what's happened. I think it's always a good sign if they're eating, drinking, doing chickeny things and bonus laying eggs too )t'

Have you done introduction of new hens before?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Linsi30
Lively Laner

Post by Linsi30 »

yes , i've done it once. As the run is a decent size and I would have 2 less, i'm hoping that with the extra space they'll find the introduction easier.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Nothing more to add
{hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Linsi30
Lively Laner

Post by Linsi30 »

Thank you all. It really has been very sad and horrible, but we're looking forward to helping our girls make new friends. My ex-batt looked lost when her pal went in to lay her egg this morning. It just seems so wrong being alone. {cry} I'll let you know how we get on.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

It's horrible isn't it, doesn't get any easier - big {hug} {hug}
Bev x

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I'm so sorry {hug} {hug}

I hope your introductions go well {hug}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

So sorry to read about your girls Linsi, {hug} {hug}

Looking forward to hearing about some new additions soon :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

{hug} {hug} Aww Linsi, so sorry about your girls but glad some survived. Hope your new ones settle in easily or am I being too optimistic?
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

So sorry to hear about your girls {cry} {hug}

Hopefully their new friends will settle in quickly and you'll have a happy little flock again soon {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway